Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2004 15:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By johnwaterson Help!! I have just been informed that we are PC for a project starting in a fortnight. My question is do we need to have someone permanently on site as the H & S rep or would leaving a point of contact phone number suffice. All of the other requirements i am happy with, welfare etc. The above question is what i am not to happy about. Many thanxs.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2004 17:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Uren John The most important element is your construction phase H&S plan. If you are Principal Contractor then this will determine your level of site involvement and commitment to H&S. Take your lead from the Pre-tender plan that I hope you have been provided with by the client / Planning Supervisor There is no requirement in the regs to have H&S staff on site all the time but obviously anybody working there will need to be competent and your H&S commitment be appropriate to the task in hand. Hope all goes well. Chris from Effective Safety
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2004 20:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton CDM places management responsibilities on those involved in the project. Management requires supervision of the work from both a health and safety perspective and a technical/quality one. As a Client I would expect the Principal Contractor to have a presence on Site whenever work was being executed and I believe that the REGs and the ACOP Guidance assume this to be so. Management in absencia can give rise to all sorts of difficulties and in my experience is not good practice. Imagine the reaction of an Enforcing Inspector visiting the Site and finding no representative of the PC there!!!