Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2004 16:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston
I have a query about adequate supervision within a factory area, I hope you all can help.

I will try and make it as clear as I can.

A food production factory has a large deli holding from anywhere between 20 to 100 people on an average day. Also on an average day there will be around 4 or 5 chargehands/supervisor in the deli.

My query concerns the fact that tomorrow (Friday), there will possibly be 30 people up until 3.30pm, after which all will go home except 2 female workers who work in the enclosed chill area. This chill area also normally has its own chargehand on an average day.

The point is, these two female workers will be the lone workers in the deli, with no chargehand/supervisor in the deli. Is this within the law? Or, should there be some sort of supervision in this cold environment (0 - 5 degrees C).

The fears of the female workers have included: high risk of slippage, one worker was trapped under racking which toppled, and has now sparked arguments at work. Could someone help clear this up?

Thank you for your time,

John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2004 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes
I may be wrong but the issues you need to address first is not the provision of adequate supervision but controlling the risks of slippery floors, storage etc.....I think that they are quite within their rights to have concerns, especially if an incident regarding the inadequate storage has already occurred.....
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2004 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Levels of supervision need to be adequate, reflecting the results of your risk assessments - which you need to get hold of and check. The first point to look at, though, is your organisation's safety policy. Under the organisation and arrangements, you should find the details of the competent person which the organisation is required to employ (internally or externally). This person should be in a position to answer basic questions of health and safety such as the situation you describe.

If there is a risk to the health or safety of employees, this should be covered in the risk assessments for the workplace together with the control measures the employer has put in place. That's how it works nowadays - we've moved away from the prescriptive 'numbers game' approach to the position where the employer devises his own solutions following advice from the competent person(s) and relevant guidelines, in addition to specific requirements of Regulations.

Hopefully this has not been a Grannie egg-sucking operation - I'm assuming you want some basic principles to start with! If not, apologies for stating what you may already know.

Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2004 17:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston
Thank you.

Emma, these issues have been touched upon before and are still on-going to the point where I have almost called the HSE to put an end to the lack of risk assessment for the flooring and storage. My partner is one of the female employees, I do not actually work there any more. She was also the one trapped under the the falling storage racking, hence her fears of working in a large deli area with only one other employee.

Allan, I understand fully what you have outlined, this could be the root of my query. There has not ever been a risk assessment on this topic. Also, the arguments I have mentioned are indeed with the health and safety staff of the organisation, they are of no help whatsoever.

Basically my partner has asked me if she has the right to refuse to work this short time period due to lack of supervision, and her fears of the slippery floors and dangerous racking to which she has been injured before.

Thanks once again.

I hope I'm making sense.

John