Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2004 20:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Chappell
PLEASE HELP.

I am new to the Health and Safety profession.

I have been asked by my manager to look at the DSEAR Regs to see whether our factory premises are compliant.

My manager has given me the ACOP and told me to find out what we, as an organisation must do.

To be honest I haven't a clue where to start.

Can anyone please give me some advice as to what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and kind regards.

Ken Chappell.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2004 22:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter John Campbell Quill
Dear Ken

If you are short on guidance try http://www.safety.ed.ac....sess/DSEAR_Guidance.html

Alternatively there is always the HSE site http://www.hse.gov.uk/spd/dsear.htm#Advice

I'm sure you will get on like a house on fire ...

Regards

Peter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2004 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Ken,

I suggest you start by identifying your organisation's appointed competent person (a requirement of the Management Regulations) and asking for some help in identifying your current controls in this area. Then you can use the ACoP to carry out a gap analysis, and work together to fill the gaps. This would be the easiest way in my opinion.

I have the feeling that you aren't too comfortable with this task!

Good luck,

Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2004 12:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Ken.

Have sent you some info via Email.

Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2004 00:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel
You are not alone. I've been in H&S for 31 years and I can't determine what is required - at least, what standards are expected to be applied.

Having watched the HSE squirm over being invited into a car recycling yard to see how petrol in fuel tanks is removed I can also confirm the HSE also have no idea how to apply the regs. The array of white faces when the man with the bronze pickaxe and a bucket emerged to show the "traditional way" was a sight to be seen.... A most entertainng day out!

Zoning is a particular issue since having made it a legal requirement no-one seems to have thought of the practical implications. In the above scenario and the subsequent visit to a proper vehicle decontamination station at my own client's site the subject of zoning was raised but mysteriously failed to be mentioned in the following letter which only arrived 3 months later....

I was also told that existing pre-DSEAR guidance will NOT be re-written but you will be expected to use if as guidance, presumably skipping the references to obsolete laws.... What can I say?

At the present time I would advise you determine where you might have substances falling inside DSEAR, apply sensible obvious standards, set any zoning carefully to a minimum area. Without any specific guidelines themselves, I cannot see how the HSE can challenge any assessment or situation which is not a blatant and obvious risk.

Dave Daniel
Technical Director
Practical Risk Management Ltd
D.R.Daniel@ntlworld.com
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2004 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CHRISTOPHER HAYWARD
A hearty "well said " to the last repsondent. Lets add DSEAR to the long list of chemical regulations that inspectors at the HSE don't understand. Joining COSHH, CHIP and CDG Road to name but three. Having been to innumerable seminars with HSE speakers in recent years, I am not even sure all the formulators of the legislation understand either.