Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2004 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew I. Butler Good Afternoon Colleagues.. Would anyone have a Health & Safety Policy Statement on this subject which includes a list of equipment to be provided by the employer to the employee working from home? I appreciate that any employer must be able to demonstrate compliance with the DSE regulations as explained in L26 and the subsequent HSE Homeworkers guide but I would be interested to hear how others has manged this most difficult of matters and the solution you have found. Many thanks for your assistance AIB
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2004 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Uhmmmm, Yes, so would I. Unfortunately, at the moment I have only noted that this is something I must do. I have broached it in a roundabout way with coleagues concerned. I don't feel it is well received, particularly by those affected.It crashes up against some very gray areas and strong taboos. So, as I can easily turn my attention to other higher priority tasks I'm leaving it alone for the moment. But at some point - I will have to face another Rubicon. Benedict
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2004 12:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Here is the package and information we provide to our homeworkers "Display Screen Equipment for Homeworking The following information identifies a basic list of workstation requirements for homeworkers that will ensure compliance with minimum workstation requirements. It is appreciated that user’s needs may vary therefore you are advised to choose those items you require ensuring that you can adopt a supported comfortable working posture. However those items highlighted with an asterisk * should be provided. Further Health and Safety information and more specifically, the International Detailed Arrangement on Display Screen Equipment can be found on the International Health & Safety website – http://iguide.mciworldcom.com/index/3/4/294/d6f0/ Display Screen Equipment (DSE) Information  The following homeworking package has been prepared in consultation with DataSound (SAP approved supplier). www.datasound.com  Given that the homeworking package must be paid from your cost centre, it is strongly recommended that the appropriate Line Management approval be agreed.  To discuss your homeworking package requirements, please contact (name removed for Data protection) from DataSound – 020 8883 6421.  Installation and set up of workstation is included as part of the package. You are advised to discuss with DataSound a convenient day for delivery.  The prices quoted are approximate and exclude VAT.  Alternative workstation arrangements including chairs are available if required, costs will vary. Please note, that the Health & Safety Team does not get involved with personally ordering items or arranging delivery dates etc. Please address all issues relating to purchase through your Line Management / SAP person / DataSound / Homeworking Solution as appropriate. Workstation Items Ancillary Items Approximate Price excluding VAT Gel Mouse Mat £14.00 Gel Wrist Rest £16.95 Footrest £33.95 Document Holder £18.85 Monitor Blocks (to raise screen height) £19.95 Desk Lamp with base Desk Lamp without base (attaches to desk) £67.50 plus £22.50 £67.50 * H&S items – Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Box & Smoke Alarm £60 Standard Chair with height adjustable arms £190 Additional items to be chosen by employee Approximate Price excluding VAT Stella Max Workstation £427 Stella Max associated Pedestal (under desk) £299 OR Stella Intro Workstation £264 Stella Intro associated Pedestal (next to desk) £305 All of the above items with Stella Max workstation & Pedestal = £1169.70 excluding VAT All of the above items with Stella Intro workstation & Pedestal = £1012.35 excluding VAT In addition, you are advised to purchase a Licence for WorkPace Software. WorkPace software 'runs' behind other packages and encourages the user to take micro-pauses at given intervals by monitoring the amount of time spent intensively using the keyboard and mouse. WorkPace Software Personal License £29 (approximate cost) This item is from Homeworking Solution – 020 8748 5661. (Costs vary dependent on number of Licences purchased). To purchase email @ procurement IT requesting that a License be purchased for WorkPace Software from Homeworking Solutions (ordered via Computacentre)." I hope this helps John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2004 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber Andrew, You may want to take a look at the DTI website, (search for Teleworking) they have a good document that has been jointly produced by DTI, CBI, TUC, etc. It gives a lot of advice on how best to manges homeworking including a section on H&S. In addition we provide desk, chair and other furniture dependedn on need. We also provide the necessary IT. I have employees carry out a self assessment of ergonomics, etc and have extensive guidance on our internal web pages. I've been involved with homeworkers for about 15 years and have never come across any real issues, especially if it is a voluntary scheme.