Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2004 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst appreciating that we are now in the days of bed-lifts and evacuation lifts, I still remember attending a training session on the evacuation of bed-confined persons wrapped up in tied mattresses by dragging them along corridors and eventually down stairs! Needless to say, willing and able-bodied volunteers were used for the training! Considering the implications of the Manual Handling Regs, etc but also the possibility of lifts not being available the impracticality of wheel-chairs or Evac+Chairs for some patients/clients and the space required for numerous beds at refuges, I would be interested to hear whether there are any remaining vestiges of this practice and if anything has been published for the health community in this respect.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2004 22:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ivorfire Hi Ken, There are some hospitals that cater for the vertical evacuation phase by this means. Manual handling does make it a dilema, and essentially it is not physically practised. However, in the event of an emergency it could be used as the theory is covered in training sessions. I beleive there was one case where legal action was taken against a hospital adviser for physical training / practices using this method, and hence the adoption of theory and no practise. I presume that the balance in the event of using in an actual emergency outweighs the risk of injury through manual handling training, i.e. less severity of risk. Still an area that could be challenged perhaps?? I am told that training using evac chair's is more intensive. Inaddition, benefits that using "ski chutes" (or what ever local name they are called), that these can be quicker in comparison to evac chairs and for the simple fact that ski chutes are much cheaper and more numerous that evac chairs. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2004 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Ken It is a sad fact of life that in an impoverished NHS, old and inadequate hospital buildings are still in use. Whilst most patients can be safely evacuated by other means, there will always be those for whom transfer from bed to a wheelchair or evacuation chair is just not an option. Where the layout of an area requires there to be 2 escape routes, it is a fair bet that only one of the routes will be capable of taking a hospital bed. In those situations, we require the potentially affected beds to be fitted with ski-sheets. (For the uninitiated, these go below the matress and have two or three seat-belt type buckles which are pulled out and over the top, effectively wrapping the patient in the matress. There is a loop handle at each end with which the mattress can be dragged.) They are a last resort, hopefully never to be used, but with two people are actually very easy to pull off the bed and along a smooth floor surface and even down stairs (easier than controlling the descent of an evac chair). In practice, these would be the last patients to be evacuated, and it is anticipated that, with assistance arriving from unaffected areas, three or four staff could be available. Unfortunately they are hopeless on carpeted floors, and difficult to use with air matresses - increasingly in use(control of pressure sores) by just the type of patient who cannot be moved by other means. For these situations, we are looking at a padded vinyl variety which has to be placed under the patient but otherwise is used in a similar way. I believe that, both from a patient safety and from a staff moving and handling perspective, the "reasonably practicable" test is satisfied. Of course, I would prefer a nice new hospital with a sprinkler system and wide doors and corridors and fire-safe lifts big enough for beds. Anyone got a spare £20million or so?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2004 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Thanks, John. Presumably you don't have practices with these (at least on stairs) in view of the manual handling implications?. Who gets it within their job description to perform this task?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2004 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john o'meara Ken and others. A new program started on Australian TV last night called "The New Inventors". Incredibly, the very first invention showcased was a thing called the "Albac Mat". It seems to do the exact job you want. Please look at the programme: http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/ There's a video demo of the mat in use. Interestingly the other two inventions showcased also had improved H&S outcomes - the "No Dump" blocking plate (you've gotta read this one to believe it) and the "Coconet". J.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2004 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Bower Are there not also implications arising from the guidance contained within Reg 5 (employees duties) which allow for well intentioned improvisation in an emergency? My reading of this is that the employer has to have in place the requiste controls to reduce risk. However, in an emergency the employee can 'abandon' those controls to do whatever they need to do. If there is a foreseeable chance of these 'procedures' and equipment being used in an emergency then surely some training needs to take place? It's a cleft stick situation for many employers but one that will have to be addressed. Just my thoughts. Stuart
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2004 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Ken Any evacuation of patients using ski-sheets would almost certainly be undertaken by nurses - and lead by the nurses caring for the patients in question. These are the people most highly trained in moving and handling, and should be capable of on the spot assessment of risk, calling for assistance according to the situation. We don't practice with people acting as "patients", but more because of the risk of injury to the "patient". Training is done by demonstration. Any practice is with empty beds with a couple of pillows as the patient. Stairs do not really present a problem to the rescuer. The patient, safely wrapped in a matress with pillows and bedding, is dragged (no lifting) feet first down the stairs - often easier than on the level. Its probably the only time that a live patient is ever tranported feet first (unless appearing in Casualty or Holby City!). The person at the head end does not lift either, just applies a slight tension to reduce the bouncing of the head and control any tendency for the bundle to slew. It is not necessary to carry out a full simulation of a situation in order to provide training or for that training to be adequate. This is particularly true of emergency training where all anyone can hope to do is learn and practice the relevant techniques and procedures and hope they all come together if the proverbial ever hits the fan.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 March 2004 23:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor An interesting video, John O'M. The patient didn't seem to be as enclosed as he would have been in a mattress and the strap intended to be across the chest seemed rather close to the neck. Fortunately I didn't see a video of the other two inventions! I recognise the acceptability of improvisation in emergency situations, Stuart, and do emphasise this on our manual handling courses. However, I would not be confident in teaching a procedure in a risky manner based upon the fact that it would put persons at risk if used in an emergency. John W's two-pillows technique seems to be a reasonable compromise for the current climate - unless someone knows better?