Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2004 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By SRJ Hi all I have just started my own small H&S business picked up about 5 clients at the moment (part time)the problem i have got is at the moment i am using my deskjet printer to print off all relevant paperwork which is costing a few pounds (ink £30) so can anyone recommend a descent and cheap printer just to run drafts off no colour required a probably a laser would work out cheaper. Thanks Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2004 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson Hi Have you had a look at Viking Direct, They are quite good for cheap stationary products as well as machines. I think their website is www.viking-direct.co.uk or you could put viking direct in your search engine and see what comes up. Hope that helps you Regards Robert Paterson
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2004 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi Steve, Try https://www.shop.bt.com for all computer stuff. They are very good and cheap. You can also compare products on the site and see what consumables it comes with, how many pages you get out of the cartridges etc and see how much the consumables cost. http://www.paperpunch.com are good for stationery stuff. I am in Northern Ireland and they say that their stuff comes next day delivery. I thought no way would it happen for me, but sure enough a big lorry pulled up outside my house the next day with all my stuff. The guys there are really friendly to deal with also. You could also go to Which? Online, I think the site is http://www.which.co.uk Register for a free trial there, then check out their reviews of printers (but remember to cancel your trial in time so your credit card doesn't get charged every month). I had thought about buying a laser printer, but in the end I bought a HP5150 along with a 2-sided printing accessory (£45) which lets me print out double sided without having to turn pages around and put them in again myself. Regards, Karen Todd

Edited by moderator 28 September 2016 09:09:23(UTC)  | Reason: dabs.com has now moved to www.shop.bt.com

Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2004 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts Steve, I use a Lexmark 5150 which is a combined printer, copier, scanner and fax machine so is an ideal machine for a small office. It has the facility to reduce the copy quality to draft therefor reducing ink usage.It is presently on sale in PC world for £99.99. I have also purchased a refill kit which allows me to refill the cartridges making it even cheaper on ink usage. Hope this is of some use and good luck with your business Best regards Phil
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2004 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Hi Steve - like a lot of things it is actually false economy to buy "cheap". I would advocate spending as much as you possibly can and get the advice of the printer manufacturers to end up with a machine that has suitable capacity for your needs and more importantly one that is economic in terms of cost per copy. Home/office machines are notorious for breaking down when you most need them and very seldom are able to be repaired necessitating the purchase of another.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2004 00:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Miriam Steve: You can also extend the life of your cartridges a little bit by adjusting the print quality. On your Print Screen select the 'Properties button. From there you should find facilities to set up your printer in 'draft' and 'greyscale' mode; then select 'apply and OK'. Draft/greyscale mode uses less ink and is OK if you are just printing off drafts/copies of docs for yourself. Don't forget to reset print quality to 'normal' or 'best' when printing final docs to send to your clients. Miriam
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2004 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Hi Steve For a B&W laser try OKI. They use the same printer engine (the guts) and cartridge as HP. Mine's been in use for about six years now without any major faults. With a bit of detective work it's often quite easy to work out the name behind the badge. Easiest is to find a company making compatible cartridges, then see what other printers that cartridge fits. Laser cartridges are expensive, but they work out cheaper per page than inkjets. The printers are more expensive too, around 200 quid. Alec
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2004 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Hardiment Have you tried www.ebuyer.com they will be about the cheapest. You could by a hp comby printer, as this would enable you to scan, photocopy and print, vital for a small business. The cartridges last for ages on fastdraft. I print stuff all the time being a student, and have replaced the cartridge once in a year and a half. Hope this helps Joe Hardiment