Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2004 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ben Dickens I had a recent query regarding the requirement for test and examination certification for loading shovels such as a JCB 3CX, and the small loaders used by local authorities on road repairs etc. Would you expect to have a test certificate in place for this type of equipment, taking into consideration that some types can be used with a fork attachment. Loler does refer to tractors being used for lifting bales coming under the regulations, but would they have a test certificate with a SWL applied?. It is one of those questions that 9 times out of 10 you would answer immediately and be confident, however it only takes one person to put a different slant on things and everything goes out the window!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2004 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Hello Ben, I have recently completed a check on this type of question myself as we have bought a set of forks to go with our tractor. For the fork we a "Certificate of Thorough Inspection" - this has been arranged to be completed by the supplier on a rolling basis unless something untoward happens - then sooner. The SWL is marked and we have had weight limiters and LCD displays to show the load weight. As I understood the regs. a bucket is not to be used to carry out a lifting operation as it is not designed for the purpose - ie attaching a load using some sort of lifting gear attached to the bucket teeth or similar. It is viewed to be mechanically carrying a load within its frame. However, an excavator with a purpose designed attaching point may be used for carrying out lifting operations and then requires all the paraphanalia that comes in train to be legal to complete the lift - examination, inspection, limiters etc. Benedict. Can anyone with more detailed knowledge/experience please correct if I have this wrong in any way.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2004 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Knagg From practical experience, the JCB and other excavators are seen as universal machines on construction sites and can be used for all sorts of operations, lifting being just one. If you use an excavator for lifting, there must be a certified and tested atachment point fitted to the mechanical arm and the machine marked clearly wit it's SWL. Furthermore the hydraulic system must not be able to 'drop' or move without Hydraulic pressure (safety valves or drop valves must be fitted)so if a pipe bursts the machine doesn't drop the load. Talk to the machine manufacturer for the lifting capabilities of a particular model.