Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2004 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber Does a person who is required to occasionally wire a 240 V appliance to a Spur or mains box need to be trained to 16th edition standards or is there a simpler (cheaper) course available?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver Hi Paul, in repsonse to your question, you do have to show that you are competent to carry out work on an electrical system. i encountered this issue some months ago, as the company i work for employs sub-contractors to connect electrical applainces in new build properties. the sub-contractors have been doing this for a number of years and so i have devised an on-site competence test, that consists of a fused spur with 6 faults. if they can identify all faults i would deem that they have an adeqaute level of competence to connect appliances, however if they cant identify all faults then i will not deem them competent and will ask them to attend an additional training course at there own expense. you must be trained to current IEE standards for work on electrical installations but do not have to be NICEIC regsitered. NICEIC registration is required if you are carrying out survey, insepction and test of fixed electrical systems. I don't know where you are based but i contacted a training company in leeds who were prepared to tailor a one-day course for contractors who had no prior knowledge of electrical installation. if you have a fax i can pass on the info. please feel free to contact me direct. cheers Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2004 19:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Moughtin Paul Cheaper course - No and 16th Edition is a multiguess I mean choice, test, it's simply not enough to deem you competant. Competant is the current legal requirement, but if you do a bit of wiring every now and then, you will not ever be competant you will be a danger to yourself and your work mates. It isn't worth it. The instruments required to verify that you have carried out the work correctly cost in the region of £700.00 and can be dangerous themselves, then theres filling in the certificates. I recently investigated reports of Tenants recieving electric shocks for over 18 months in their bathroom, to cut a long story short the person reporting it to me put them down as receiving static shocks, I found a slight damage to a cable under the bathroom floor and all metal work in the room live as well as the water in the toilet cistern! Contrary to Paul Olivers advice you don't have to work to IEE regulations (now BS7671:2001) you have to comply with the Electricity At Work Regulations but complying with BS7671 means you are "deemed to have complied" with EAWR. Neither do you have to be an NICEIC approved contractor for surveying,inspection and testing of fixed electrical installations. Your Aunt Flo could set up as a contractor tommorrow! Scandalous isn't it! Look for Part P of the building regulations on the NICEIC, ECA or ODPM web sites, carrying out electrical work is about to come in line with Gas and about time too! Come January 2005 you will have to be a "Competant Enterprise" ie registered with the NICEIC or other approved body, or go through the local Building Control Dept. Watch this space for licensed Electrician's ! And to add confusion the wiring colours are changing from Red and Black soon ! Iam qualified to C&G 2391 and 2400 with 20+ years experience of installing and now Policing other peoples work. Some qualified professional's work leaves a lot to be desired and I still don't know everything, but the respect that electricity has seems to be going down hill fast hence Government intervention. Hope that helps. Brian