Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 March 2004 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston I am reviewing our security measures. I have procedures in place for dealing with suspect packages and building security etc but am after any guidance on the following: As a local authority we have street cleaners who regularly find peoples belongings left in shopping centres, outside public buildings etc. They normally check to see the contents etc and collect/dispose of them as required. Has anyone got any guidance on procedures to follow for this scenario. I am awaiting information from the Public Service Officer at the local police station. Instinct tells me to tell them not to touch it and call the police immediately. (But this would be a daily occurrence).
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2004 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver hi Steve, I read a story in a national newspaper the other day where the fire brigade had attended a situation where people where trapped in a lift. the fire brigade made the trapped personnel sign an invoice after they were rescued so that they could obtain costs associated with the resuce from the building owners. you may find that all bags and packages that you mention may have to be treated as suspect with the costs of carrying out any subsequent clearance opeartions being born by the owner. world gone crazy i know, but what else are you to do, i know i wouldn't like to be the one who checks a real suspect package and finds out to my cost the contents are hazardous. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2004 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Steve, A topical problem at the moment. My organisation adopt a policy for 'suspect' items based on the acronym H.O.T., which is a common sense way of dealing with many items of lost property in a railway environment. Basically is it Hidden, Obvious...can't remember what the T stands for, and it is not Ticking ! Anyway, I think you can see the point of the exercise, if an item was a suspect package it would have to meet a certain criterion. Okay it is not a perfect solution, there are risks we face everyday and sometimes common sense must prevail. Regards Ray