Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 March 2004 22:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Cameron Hi, has anybody ever had to look into Large or Long blade safety in transit? I am currently researching the subject with a view to setting up a safe traspotation process for blades from above 6 Inches to swords of all shapes and sizes. I am specificaly interested if anybody has seen any inovative space saving methods to acheive safe transportation of baldes from seizure to destrotion other than the original scabards? Any help of direction gratefully received.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2004 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle David. Swords are usually packaged in strong, thick carboard tubes, centred by the use of hard foam packaging placed inside the tube, as the sword (in scabbard) is placed in the tube, and ends sealed with thick plastic stoppers, obviously fitting the tube ends, that are 'ridged' in the sides to grip the cardboard tube, and can be firmly taped up. The advantage is that the tube can be cut to suit the length of the blade/sword, and so can deal with almost any type of blade, short knives to long swords. The tubes used were approximately 150mm internal diameter.... As a note, I brought swords overseas (for decorative purposes) and this mode of transport packaging was accepted by the customs and airline and arrived safety in tact via two long haul flights and changes of luggage... Hope this is of use... Stuart
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2004 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward H Would I be right in deducing from your mention of "seizure to destruction" that these blades may have been used in anger and hence may be contaminated with blood etc? In which case they should be dealt with as 'clinical waste'and the regulations on carriage and packaging of hazardous wastes may apply. I would suggest talking to the various companies that make sharps bins for the healthcare sector. For example www.daniels.co.uk list a long 780mm x 160mm sharps container.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2004 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Cameron Edward, yes you would be right in assuming these blades may have been used in anger. I work for teh Police and have been tasked to look into a safe meathod of transporting blades from the crime scene to teh property store and then on to destruction. Not an easy task when you consider various sizes and shapes then contamination and the need for scientific investigation also.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2004 19:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle David. Just a though... As most blades are largely constructed of metal (Steel), and to avoid the risks associated with both contamination and destruction by third parties (and the continuing costs this method of course), would it worth considering also looking at a small (large enough for swords etc) smelting plant, probably gas fired, where all such items, after forensic examination, for example sited at the forensic lab in Lambeth, could be destroyed under controlled conditions whilst still officially in the custody of the Police Service. This may be an alternative to sending outside, the additional risks of third party problems and contamination, and be cost efficient inso much that apart from operating and maintenance costs, fairly low for this kind of light and heat plant, would remove the usual elevated costs associated with contaminated special waste and in particular, probably additionally higher costs associated with such dangerous items? Regards... Stuart