Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2004 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris I have been asked to risk assess our server rooms, as we carry out lots of server/pc installations & server configuration, often out of normal hours. Fire hazard concerns have been raised, both from internal & external sources affecting the construction of the walls.Are special fire proof see through doors required or CCTV?. 415V electrics are in abundance as are air con units blowing cold air to dissipate heat given off from the server units. Water leaks have been known from these units so is there anywhere a specific guidance doc I could refer to properly structure the risk assessment? Any help much appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2004 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver Have a look at your fire certificate, you might find further info from that, otherwise contact the fire service direct. you might also want to look at lone workers policies. i would definelty look at the maintenance programme for your air conditioners as identifying that this equipment leaks in an area where there is 415V present highlights a serious risk to health. remember that you have identified it now so it won't go away! Has anyone carried out a fire risk assessment with regards to these areas? Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2004 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Thomas I haven't had to carry out a specific RA in our server room which is a pretty secure place. However, some suggestions are: Doors, Fire Doors should be an imperative as the room can be a risk to be contained from the rest of the building for as long as possible. Whilst it reduces the fire retention time go for one with a safety glass to allow viewing through CCTV, that is an internal company decision but do you have someone to watch over it? Obviously (?) you have one or more smoke detectors in that room - you can have your fire alarm control panel to switch on the cctv monitor when a detector is activated. Air Con, this should only be blowing out cold air to maintain a temperature, if continually blowing then it isnt up to the job and needs a full assessment. Water, doesnt mix with 415v or data so you should ensure regular maintenance i.e. quarterly, which although a cost is far less than the cost of replacing equipment and the resultant insurance hike. 415v, should be carefully sorted and isolated from normal day to day working. A full RA should be carried out and safe working practices introduced. Only trained and competant should work on these circuits and this should not normally be "hot working". All working should be accompanied. One item that is usually forgotten nowadays is to always have a wooden broom handy - it enables you to pull someone off a live circuit reasonably safely. a bit long but hope this helps
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2004 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston To back up a previous posting, check the fire certificate as I have had it stated that the server room must be in a "zone" of its own, that shows up seperately on the fire panel. Also, the fire service advised setting up the server room on a stand alone power supply that was not linked with the rest of the building!