Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2004 20:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton
Reg 28 has the phrase 'while in motion' in it.
I would be interested to hear what others interpretation of this phrase are.

Does it mean whilst the work equipment is just moving or does it include 'motion' of the power sources built into the self propelled work equipment?

There is no definition given in the Regs as far as I can ascertain.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2004 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Hagyard
Robin.Have a look at the Approved Code of Practice - Safe Use of Work Equipment. I would interpret reg 28 to be about the self-propelled equipment itself moving. If you were looking at movement of parts within the equipment I would look at Regulations 11 or 12 as appropriate. Hope that Helps.

Brian Hagyard

Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2004 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston
I agree, reg 28 is concerned with the equipment itself moving

The following are issues that need to be considered under the ACOP - prevention of unauthorised start up, brakes and stops, minimising effects of collision by fitting bumpers, lights and horns etc.

Also ensuring suitable mirrors are sited preferably on the equipemnt or otherwise on the walls i.e on blind bends.

Ensuring the equipment can be used safely in all circumstances (suitable lighting of yards where access is required at night etc).

Also fire extinguishers must be provided for use on the equipment (where escape from the equipment cannot be achieved easily)

Steve