Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2004 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier Good afternoon I am looking for some guidance on the siting and the criteria for using "fire exit" and "exit" signs. As far as I am aware if an exit is used only as a fire exit then it must be signed as that but if it is used as a normal door then it should be signed as "exit". Is this the case? Thanks in advance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2004 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Cooper Yes Simon you are correct about fire exits and the signage of regular exits. Check out 'Safety signs, including fire safety signs-' ISBN 0 580 33205 5 issued by the BSI (BS 5499-4:2000) It provides examples and illustrations to assist with the correct positioning for escape route signage. It always helps when you think everything is about in the right position, to wander about and ask yourself "if I am a visitor, right now, do I know where to go?" you'd be surprised how a good place to site a sign from a step ladder seems obscure from a pedestrians perspective. Regards Chris Cooper
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2004 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil.D.Baptiste as per previous response, exit signs should be used on normal routes and fire exit signs on other/additional routes. However, as per advice from a local fire officer, in public buildings, such as museums, where routes through are 'designated' or 'prescribed', it may be appropriate to use fire exit signs, where/if there is a conflict with the normal 'viewing route'.