Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2004 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Hi Again Folks, Same idea as my last posting. Is there any legislative requirement for an individual to wear long trousers under his coveralls, when working in a Hydrocarbon Environment such as an oil refinery or in my case, oil rig. I have become aware of an individual who wears running shorts under his coveralls. I would like to find out if there is any need, other than good common sense, for him to wear better protection for his legs prior to me discussing the safety aspects of the situation with him. In discussion with other members of the management team it has been pointed out that other personnel wear short sleeved shirts which makes my concerns redundant unless addressed at the same time. We are all issued with fire retardant coveralls but after half a dozen washes, in our industrial sized laundry machines, I am sure all such retardant is gone from the coveralls. Any pointers on this matter will be greatly appreciated. I have had one reply to this query and further comments would be greatly appreciated. Regards Frank Macleod
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2004 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Frank Are you sure that your coveralls are treated with a fire retardant? As you are in the oil industry, I would have thought that they are more likely to be made from 'Nomex' in which case there is no treatment to wash out as the retardant properties are inherent in the fabric. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2004 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craige We currently issue Fire retardant coveralls to our maintenance staff. They are cotton coveralls with a Proban (probably a TM)covering. The Proban does wash out after a dozen or so washes but the cotton still offers protection from fire. Much more in fact than other coverall materials. As for legislative requirements regarding under garments I'm unsure. Craig
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2004 11:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Hi Paul, Our Fire Fighting Suits for the Emergency Response Team and the Helideck Coveralls used by the Helideck Crew are all made with NOMEX but the standard issue coveralls are not. We have strong emphases on pro-active safety rather than reactive safety and my concern is, that in a worst-case scenario, the individual concerned is diluting his protection from heat and flame by having no layers of clothing between his flesh and his coveralls. When attending Fire Fighting training schools, there is no way an individual would be allowed onto the fire ground with only a pair of running shorts on under his PPE even with the NOMEX protection. When I discussed this issue with the individual, his reply was "I wear them for comfort reasons" God forbid he ever suffers flesh burns, which I'm sure would be a lot less comfortable than wearing a pair of long legged trousers I will be advising the individual of this as well as the management team. I posted this thread for advice as to whether there were legislative requirements, which would add strength to my case. Thanks for your response though. Regards Frank
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2004 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craige Regarding legislation, doesn't it state in the HSW Act that "employees must co-operate with employers" in relation to ALL aspects of health and safety? Can your ideas not be written into your PPE policy and enforced because they must surely be seen as "best practice"?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2004 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen I agree with most of the comments made so far. Flame retardant material, whether inherent or coated is not heat insulating. When removed from flame it will for a short period still be at the heat of the flame and well capable of burning any skin which comes into direct contact. A long sleeved shirt and trousers should always be worn to provide a barrier between the coverall and the skin. I know this makes it uncomfortable in hot weather but as previous respondents have said consider the alternative. Wear an absorbent sweat shirt and track suit bottoms if necesary. The original posting doesn't surprise me. We've been stressing the need to wear three layers of clothing beneath survival suits for about 7 or 8 years now and yet clowns still turn up at heliports just wearing tee shirts and trousers. They are as bad as people who don't pay attention during flight safety briefings.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2004 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Hi Frank, Are these coveralls really issued as PPE? If not then what is the problem of the employee wearing shorts under them. However if they are issued as PPE then this, PPE requirement would have been highlighted in your risk assessment. (Legal requirement Regulation 3 MHSWR 1999). Then you would need to do a PPE assessment (Regulation 6 PPE at work regulations 1992). These regulations also say that all PPE must be suitable for its purpose i.e.: Protect the wearer from harm. Could it not be argued that if there is a requirement to wear long leg clothing underneath the coveralls then these coverall are not suitable as the user is having to additionally protect themselves from the PPE itself.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2004 21:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman If your ppe is adaquate - fire proof, liquid proof etc. it really doesn't matter what they wear underneath. Your responsibility is to make sure that whatever happens outside doesn't get inside. Y-fronts, boxer shorts, frog man suits - it's the outer barrier that counts.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2004 08:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen I think the problem comes form use of the word fireproof. Coveralls made from Nomex, Proban etc are classified as flame retardant. This means that when removed from flame they do not continue to burn of their own accord. The issue is one of risk assessment. Fortunately flash fires are very rare however where large quantities of hydrocarbons are being handled at high pressures the risk exists. It is dealt with in the first place by having properly designed and maintained plant to contain the hydrocarbons, by minimising leaks and removing potential ignition sources. Flame retardant coveralls like other forms of PPE are provided as a secondary means of defence in case the other precautions do not work and like most forms of PPE they have their limitations. Any falling or flying object can have sufficient kinetic energy to exceed the degree of protection provided by a safety helmet or eye protection. This does not mean that we do not issue them, rather that we do everything that is reasonably practicable to stop objects falling or flying in the first place then issue the PPE as back up. The role of flame retardant coveralls is to give the worker sufficient protection to escape from the immediate danger to a place of safety. If the situation requires personnel to re-enter the area to fight the fire they will be equipped with PPE like that worn by fire fighters which is to a much higher standard. Unfortunately it is not possible to do ordinary work in such clothing. To go back to the original posting Frank says that on his installation only fire and helideck crews wear Nomex; everyone else has ordinary coveralls. If so did the original risk assessment rule out the risk of flash fires in production areas?
Admin  
#10 Posted : 02 April 2004 22:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Gentlemen, Thank you all for taking the time to assist me with my query. Your reply's have given me much food for thought and will assist in my dealing with the issue upon my return offshore. We have discussed the merits of fire protection from flame retardant coveralls but I should have also mentioned the hazards associated with chemical and diesel spills and the associated risk of such substances soaking through the coveralls directly onto the individuals skin. These are certainly not everyday occurrences but should such a scenario occur the individual would certainly have better protection from long legged trousers than bicycle shorts. Once again thank you all, your assistance is appreciated. Regards Frank PS John, we had the same problem in trying to encourage personnel to wear three layers of clothing under their survival suits until we made it compulsory that all personnel wear at least two layers with the outer layer being long sleeved. Lots of moans and groans at first but all personnel now do it as a matter of course. All new starts and vendors are advised of this requirement long before they even arrive at the heliport.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 03 April 2004 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd The overalls are not "fire resistant" but "flame retarding" When subjected to a constant flame they do not burn but will char, glow happily bright red and then disappear leaving a hole where the heat was applied. I know, I wear them and burn THROUGH them. This discussion should also consider another thing, when insisting that the worker wears clothes UNDER the coveralls, you should bear in mind that wearing PLASTIC based garments under the coverall renders the flame retardent properties redundant...they will conduct sufficient heat for the plastic-based cloth to melt onto the skin. Been there, done that, got the scars. Like everything else, what you THINK matters little when you fail to consider that the worker knows from experience what is going to happen. Oh and: http://www.hse.gov.uk/fod/infodocs/668_25.pdf look at part 65, this is advice on PPE for welders. I have a large scar where the flame retardant (proban) overall burnt through on contact with a flame (but didn't catch fire) and melted my clothes onto my skin. The wound under the melted plastic didn't heal, became infected and the plastic had to be removed surgically. No clothes under the coveralls is better than plastic clothes, NOT forgetting the SOCKS. And, while we're on the PPE for fire/flame/heat may I also bring to your attention that the commonest burn for welders (excepting hands) is to the FEET. Because the employer refuses to pay for proper footwear and insists that the welder/s wear ordinary boots...where the sparks drop through the lace area..
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 April 2004 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Thankyou for your valuable comments John Regards Frank
Admin  
#13 Posted : 04 April 2004 17:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Woods If your on fire wearing long trousers underneath your coveralls is unlikely to make much difference to the damage done, surely they would only absorb more of the substance that the coveralls were protecting you from. You would have no say in the type material the clothing under the coverall was made from as they are not PPE. Any burns could be a lot worse if the person was wearing nylon or certain other man made fibre under their coveralls. leave them in their shorts.