Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2004 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone We have a number of tutors (about 30) who work in our Engineering and Woodworking departments. They have asked us to but prescription safety glasses, in the past we have issued the safety over goggles. Staff say these are uncomfortable to wear and have started to leave them off (not good when we are supposed to be teaching students safely). we contacted a well known optician who can supply vouchers to but the safety glasses. However, following risk assessments we have found that some tutors would need different types of glasses for different jobs, high impact resistant, chemical resistant etc. From talking to different Colleges they have gone back to over goggles. My idea is to get a company in to trail different safety over goggles and find out what is most comfortable for the tutors to wear, instead of buying them lots of different pairs of glasses. Any help/thoughts would be great Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2004 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson Hi Ian If your risk assessment finds that different types off glasses would be need then I suggest you have a look at prescription glasses. I know that Specsavers as advertised in the SHP magazine do prescription glasses at £35+vat. There is a phone number - 02380 626900 . Also in the magazine is a company called Protec - www.protecdirect.co.uk. Check out also the articles in the magazine about eye protection As already mentioned if they are required check out the PPE Regulations if you have not already done so. If the risk can not be engineered out then protective equipment must be provided Hope that helps Kind Regards Robert Paterson
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2004 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Robert Thanks for the response. We have met with the people from Specsavers. The main issue is do we go down the route of supplying safety glasses (sometmes several pairs for different jobs) or safety over goggles, that will fit over their exsisting glasses and will be able to be used all the time and not have to be changed depending on the job at the time? We have looked at reducing the risks and the glasses are their to cover the residual risks from Swarth and cutting fluid etc Ian
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2004 18:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Ian I can imagine that supplying 30 people multiple pairs of safety glasses would become quite expensive especially if they are all prescription. Could you not from your previous assessment results come up with a compromise. Supply the prescription glasses that they wear the majority of the time and then get them to wear the over safety glasses to accomodate the remaining occasions. That way the tutors will at least be wearing a pair of safety glasses 100% of the time even if they are not totally perfect and would possibly be more willing to wear the over safety glasses for the other occasions because it would be for a shorter period. I don't know if there are any legal implications of this suggestion but surely the idiom "something is better than nothing" must come into play. After all it is the tutors themselves who are not wearing the supplied glasses. Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 April 2004 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Would spectacles be adequate for eye protection in your workplaces or is full enclosure needed (ie as provided by over-goggles)?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 April 2004 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone The main areas of concern invole the woodworking tutors with dust etc and the engineers, with metal swarth and fluid from the lathes, also from construction with brick dust, cement etc. Some advice I have been given is to get a supplier in to trial various goggles for some staff who have the potential for impact and also chemical/fluid risks, that they could wear over their normal glasses and then provide prescription specticles to other staff to cover the risks to them. The problem being the staff have said they would refuse to wear the goggles as they are uncomfortable and they would be ridiculed by the students. I beginning to think there is no easy answer to this!! Ian
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 April 2004 14:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You can see something of why so many operatives don't use PPE on the sites when the examples of their tutors are taken into account. When I was with a local authority some years ago, we took on some technical colleges/ schools of building at one stage and I was presented with a major task of visiting each of the trades sections and getting the 'old hands' type tutors to practise and teach safe working methods. Basically they were teaching what they had learned on site rather than using any HSE or industry lead body health and safety guidance. Effective management is necessary to achieve good H&S standards - even within the Education Sector!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 April 2004 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young When I worked in manufacturing, I always worked on the principle that safety specs with side and sometimes top guards were only used as protection from impact hazards. Chemical spills had to be protected by goggles, usually indirectly vented
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 April 2004 14:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Yes, Ron. Face shields or goggles tend to be advised for use with toxic or corrosive substances.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 April 2004 20:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle See this thread which discussed this issue some weeks ago: http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...view&Forum=1&Thread=7015
Admin  
#11 Posted : 10 April 2004 02:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd If some are working with wood and need protection from the dust, they will find that wearing spectacles as well as rpe (face mask) is hard work. The spectacles will mist over. As will goggles, because the masks rarely fit correctly and the moist air breathed out passes up the sides of the nose and reach the spectacles. In most cases a face shield would be worn complete with fltered air supply from a body-worn pump. Which is what I wear in my high-dust workshop atmosphere. Wearing goggles as well as spectacles is not only uncomfortable but frequently painful, as well as causing eye strain. Wearing spectacles under a visor/faceshield is not a problem at all. The faceshields/visors are about £22.00 each, the pump/battery/hose units are about £197.00. Various filters are available from simple dust to those providing protection from chemical fumes.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 13 April 2004 09:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone A big thank you to all who responded Ian