Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2004 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas Can anybody advise me on the training requirements for abseiling from a fork lift truck man cage in the event of an emergency. I have been told that the old course providers now wont carry out this training as their insurers wont insure them as it is now classed as a sport!! Oh. My. Life. All help gratefully received
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2004 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicholas Williams Hi Joe Have you spoken with the Industrial Rope Access Trade Association at www.irata.org Rgds Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2004 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray Rather than abseiling have you thought of installing a BH Sala Rescuematic device. There is little training required and the kit is very simple to use. One person goes down and the web strap for the next person comes up for use. They were designed for escape from oil rigs.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2004 00:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alistair Reid See "Rope Evacuation from Mechanical Handling Equipment" at www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/20-3.htm
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 April 2004 10:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If you buy descent equipment from a company like BH Sala or On-line Safety, they will arrange the training for you.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 April 2004 20:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Whatever happened to the emergency mast lowering they used to use ? When I used to build the things they could be lowered manually in an emergency.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2004 21:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle why are they up in the air on the end of a FLT? Is there not a safer alternative method to do this?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2004 18:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Yes, there is. It's called a "cherry-picker" And their hire is expensive. It's cheaper to buy/make a person carrying "cage" (a pallet with sides and a large back) Actually, it provides good entertainment. Especially if the cage isn't firmly attached to the fork carriage and the driver tilts the forks forward instead of driving forward. Then the cage slides off the forks. Fortunately, the guy managed to grab the crane beam in front and the cage didn't hit anyone on the ground. It also wasn't "notifiable", since it didn't "happen"
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2004 21:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie The phrase "On a hiding to nothing" springs to mind! Laurie
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 April 2004 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The CITB position on this is that FLTs equipped with work platforms may be used for access to limited heights usually for maintenance work but that, if this becomes an established pattern of duty, consideration should be given to introducing a purpose-built platform. The work platform on the FLT does, of course, need to meet the various requirements for working at the height involved, LOLER, PUWER, etc and I would be concerned about something that had been 'knocked up' on site as opposed to something designed, manufactured, purchased and thoroughly examined for the job.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 April 2004 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Forgive my inexperience in this area, but if the forks are stuck in the "up" position with a person in the cage, what is the "emergency"? He is not in immediate danger so why put the individual at increased risk by getting him to lower himself? Tell him to stay put, and call the emergency services? The only event I can see where he would need to get down quickly is where the forks get stuck and there is a fire .... and what is the probability of both happening at the same time, surely the individual is more likley to injure himself during training than the real risk materialising? Shane.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 14 April 2004 20:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie For Heaven's sake, Shane! If you're going to ruin everything by applying logic to the situation........! Laurie