Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2004 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mike grey
Here at North Bristol NHS are formulating a policy to deal with violence and aggresion from patients aged 10 to 18. We have a policy to deal with adults and we are attempting to "dumb down" this policy to deal with minors.
We do not have a great deal of incidents within this age bracket, but feel we still need a good, strong policy to support staff,patients and visitors.
Has anyone developed a policy in relation to this and are they willing to share the information with the Trust?
Any feedback will be gratfully recieved.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2004 13:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
Mike - why make the distinction? the majority of 10-18 year olds are able to inflict just as much physical damage and/or verbal assault on others as your average adult. I would be inclined to treat them in exactly the same way, I accept there may need to be an appropriate adult if and when it comes to formal charges etc but other than that the full weight of any measures you are able to bring to bear upon them may discourage the behaviour from becoming a (bad) habit.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2004 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
If there is to be an age related break point, I would suggest it be 14, not 18 as that is the age of criminal responsibility. Unfortunately, under 14 they know that nobody can touch them and they behave accordingly. Pity we can no longer belt their ar**s. Why not try talking to the local education department to see what they are doing and how successful it is. The NHS is keen to promote the joint working agenda with local authorities, and this could open the way to shared training resources etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2004 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
HSC Education Service Advisory Committee publication 'Violence in the Education Sector' may be of some help.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2004 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Clair Parfrey
I have used a company called Complete Intervention Training in the past. They are based in leamington Spa but cover the whole of the UK.

At the time that Iused them I needed training for staff who were working alone and not very confident, the course was great and met all my staff's needs.

CIT are predominately 'care' based and work mostly with vulnerable people including children and emphasize issues such as protecting both staff and clients from harm, gender awareness and the importance of care plans etc.

I suggest you look at thier website or contact them on 07977131036
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 April 2004 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dawes
Hi Mike
I have read your thread and the responses you have had. As much as I appreciate the views held by some of the respondees with regard to the risk posed by children, there is also an increased liability when it comes to managing children's behaviour. For info a child is anyone up to the age of 18 as defined by the Children's Act and anyone who causes unnecessary harm to a child to to excessive use of force or for professional misconduct can end up as a Schedule 1 Offender or referred to the Secretary of State for incusion on the Protection of Children Act List / List 99.

Therefore, I would advise against just 'dumbing down' your adult policy but advise you to incorporate supplemntary policies specificlly for staff who work with children - especially if physical force is being used, or is likley to be used, as part of a behavioural management programme or in emergency's to control a childs behaviour.

In addition I would chose your training provider carefully. Many providers who provide training (with the best of intentions) in this field actually end up increasing the risk to the child, staff and the organisation overall.

If you forward me your e-mail address I can forward you a couple of policies specifically written for children's areas (paed's, care homes etc) which you can use for your Trust.

Regards

Mark Dawes (National Coach Tutor & Member of the Expert Witness Institute)