Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2004 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe I was wondering if any of my social care colleagues out their have yet found a PRACTICAL way of dealing with the following issues: 1. Clients or carers who refuse to stop smoking in their own homes when our staff are working there? 2. Dealing with staff requests about not going into a smoker's house if they refuse to stop. 3. Staff refusing to accompany clients in the community into pubs because of the dangers of passive smoke. I would particularly like to hear from anyone who has developed procedures and policies on the issue or even just a friendly word to share the anguish of dealing with the impact of the fall out from the current media coverage on the issue.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2004 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Fenty You are faced with a difficult and often emotive issue that is not just restricted to your profession or employees. As public awareness of the dangers of passive smoking have increased (and workplace restrictions on smoking staff are enforced) employees are often forced to make a decision between upsetting their smoking colleagues (or patients) or chosing a smoke free environment for the sake of their own health. This must be very difficult if the environment is someone's home (as you describe) rather than a workplace. My company originates from Sweden where strict tobacco smoking legislation has been in place for many years. We specialize in workplace smoking control and reduction. Our objective is a totally smoke free working environment with improved communication between smokers and non-smokers (no segregation) and a measurably improved indoor environment. We already have many UK clients and are about to commence a project with an NHS Trust which will focus on smoking control in secure mental health establishments. Please visit www.smokefreesystems.com for more information.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2004 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger Dixon We have demonstrated the smoke free system at our safety open day and have now fitted one for our own personnel. It does work and saves time as well as keeping the work force integrated. No more passive smoking issue.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2004 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Thank you for your comments but you both mention the control of smoke in areas over which employers have some element of control. I am still very interested to hear from anyone who deals with employees working in the community at large!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2004 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Hi Joe I work in a charity that runs care homes - residential, supported living and outreach for people with learning difficulties. We have a no-smoking policy for staff inside our buildings but we say that policies for service users who choose to smoke have to be made locally - which is not very helpful for you! We are providing good health practice guidelines for our staff to work with service users. These ask staff to explain the risks to service users so they understand the risks of smoking. They also ask staff to be mindful of exposing service users to passive smoking when taking them to smoky environments such as pubs. This still does not tackle your issue of staff inhaling service user smoke!