Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2004 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By wendy mcgarrity
My Organisation is a charity that supports people with learning disabilities in care homes and in the community.A conference for those who use our services is shortly to be held and I am preparing information for our H&S stand. I'm having trouble accessing pictorial or plain English safety leaflets/posters etc. that are aimed at adults with learning disabilities. (though there's plenty of info. available for staff who support them!) I've spent some time on the Internet this morning to no avail.Cost of material is obviously also a factor... Before I even begin to contemplate producing some basic information myself -I thought I'd try this forum. Any help would be really appreciated. And Happy Easter to you all.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2004 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen J W Clegg.
Hello Wendy.

I provided support to Adults with Leaning Disabilities for twelve ½ years before sidestepping into Health and Safety 18 months ago.

We were faced with a communication barrier like this in a similar situation, the most effective tool for us were the people themselves!

Involve the audience that you are targeting, get them to voice their views on Health and Safety; get them to write them down, get them to design posters that they understand, communicate the information in a language they can relate to.

You could, as we did, have them present a workshop on the topic, incorporating their own methods of communication familiar to themselves e.g. Makaton, BSL, SSE etc… we had the most popular/creative (and very willing) members of day centres acting out scenarios and narrating the workshop... the audience related to them as they were their friends and equals.

There are organisations that run workshops for people with Learning Disabilities and the facilitators have Learning Disabilities themselves. I regret that I don’t know the names of any, but the Internet should be a good starting point or you could try contacting MENCAP/SPICE.

Incidentally, everyone involved had a fantastic time developing and implementing the workshop, from the people who were in the spotlight to the ones that preferred a ‘behind the scenes’ role.

Whatever route you decide, I’m sure you’ll get your message across.

Good luck!

Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2004 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Horenr
Hallo Wendy,

I qualified as a H&S Proffesional via NVQ4 following a brain hemmorrage which left me with an amount of brain damage.

I already support students with simalar dissabilites to mine via a scheme run by Stafforshire University.

I don't have any specific H&S materials for people with learning difficulties but I do have first hand knowlage and may be able to help.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2004 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By wendy mcgarrity
Just wanted to say thank you for your responses. I'm forging ahead now...
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2004 15:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty
Northumberland College produced a basic health and safety training package a few years back. There are some excellent materials for people with learning difficulties.

It was created and designed by Gillian Robinson and Gillian Ewen. Perhaps if you contact them, they could help you.