Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2004 00:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Allaway What constitutes a competent person..? I thought that the term 'competent'.. with regard to H&S is a person has a level of both knowledge and experience that may allow him to carry out the job... I am asking as I read in this months SHP that soon you may have to be 'licensed/registered' to be competent...... Would somebody with 8 years generic H&S experience that has a NEBOSH Cert and umteen other supporting qualifications be deemed to be ‘competent’? I work as a sole H&S advisor for a small company carrying out all their generic H&S duties and ensure that the Director complies with the regulations as practicably as he can... I am due to sit my Dip 1 in the summer and then apply for Tech SP status.. One day I shall hopefully rise to the level of MIOSH whereby all will know.... even the postman as it will be on ALL my mail....
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2004 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craige When I did my Nebosh Cert one question was: "What are the elements of competency?" The answer is they were looking for was: Someone with the relevant: S - skill K - knowledge A - atitude T - training E - Experience According to NEBOSH if you have these you are competent. How they are measured is another matter. Craig
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2004 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston I would like to think that as a NEBOSH certificate holder, I am competent at a certain level of skill. I have little experience, but surely attending the NEBOSH cert' and giving it my all and making it my life thereafter, gives me the right to say I am competent to some degree. I could not imagine myself as a competent HSE manager or the manager of a nuclear power plant, but I can imagine myself as a competent health and safety officer reporting to the manager. My advice and suggestions would be qualified in that respect. I do however fully agree with a set standard of competency, but I would like to see various levels of competency or grades. Such as: competent to run a nuclear power plant, or competent to advise the safety manager of a SME. Just my thoughts, but show me the competency ladder and I will climb it with commitment and respect for those above me. Best regards John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2004 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rachel Moschke After completing the dip 1, my employer was still not happy and insisted that I gained ‘MIOSH’ so I have undertaken the NVQ4 route to avoid those exam nightmares, I am finding the NVQ route really suits me as I am doing it through e-learning. Visit www.sheilds.org they have loads of information on the NVQs. Good luck Rachel
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 April 2004 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve99Jones Dear Paul, Competence can not soley be defined by the qualification that you have or don't have. Competence must be a pre-requisit of whether you understand and are able to successfully and accurately fulfil your duties, this is commonplace, regardless of the profession you are in. To be a competent H&S professional you need to demonstrate you competencies through accurate planning, delivery and evaluation of the task. To be clear about what was expected, how it was delivered, what was achieved, how it can be improved upon. Competence is also knowing what your limitations are, that is knowing when something is beyond your own area of expertise and that you may need to call in additional assistance. Don't get too tied up in qualifications, think more about the process!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 April 2004 21:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA Steve... I think you are right, along with the others above, your last statement is soooooo diverse from the mentality of the "must have the MIOSH and Degree" people who tread the threads on this great website... it is inspiring that us mortals who are aspiring to climb the dizzy heights may have some credibility on the H&S front line.... I condider myself to have the appropriate skill base to do the job I do and can hold my head high.... In answer to one of the points above though, I would question that even if I had a degree in Nuclear physics.... but not even a NEBOSH Gen Cert.... would they employ me as the H&S Officer??
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2004 23:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve99Jones Paul No, of course you wouldn't get a job if you couldn't prove/demonstrate your competence in Health & Safety regardless as to whether you have a degree in Nuclear Physics or not! I have Nebosh PT2, a BEng (Hons) and CEng although my skill and competency in H&S isn't evaluated from the number of qualifications that I have, but from my committment and track-record in improving H&S practise, that is demonstrating my competencies through appropriate planning, managing and evaluating.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2004 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Steve and Paul et al Competency is defined in any professional capacity one choses to work and practice in. If you are CEng, then you would have met the competencies of a professional institution and the UK engineering council. One’s view of oneself is quite something else. As a professional person it is how you are judged by others against predetermined criteria that is the nub of it all. Without this recognition from learned society competency is just an expression of one’s ego. How you view yourself is fine, but how other assess competency is quiet another. I think many IOSH members are still coming to terms with this concept and the proverbial will undoubtedly ‘hit the fan’ so to speak following the vote in November. If anyone is in doubt, as to these terms they should check with Heather for the latest advisory. Richard - FIEAust FIMarEST
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 April 2004 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve99Jones Richard, Yes, I agree with you to a degree. If you refer back to what Paul originally said, then he is asking about whether he would be defined as competent as a H&S Advisor, who by all accounts, seems to be successfully proving his competence time and again. You could argue that over-qualified individuals that have conformed to societal expectations, in terms of ticking the right boxes, taking the right exams and meeting organisations predetermined expectations, is being competent(those competencies usually being decided by fat-cats that haven't practised for years). As a very senior practitioner, yes I have done the above, but I value the work I do on a daily basis. Of course I need the knowledge, but I also need to know how to apply that knowledge in a professional and competent way. Yes I met the competencies of being a CEng 12 years ago, does that mean I am competent now? Professional development can only pay a small part in the wider scheme of things. There are too many academics who determine their status by the qualifications that they have. I agree with Paul that too often on this site, discussions evolve around qualifications and don't seem to get down to the real issues of ensuring safe working practises. Qualifications (knowledge) needs to be appropriate to the work being undertsken. For example many industrial environments would not require the skills of somebody qualified to MIOSH. Yes, if you are in any doubt about whether you are competent, please feel free to get a statement from IOSH and we can start this all over again. I spend a lot of time working as an 'expert witness' after an accident on site, and have had to assess whether practitioners are competent or not, and do you know there has been no difference between those that have been qualified and those that haven't. In conclusion, as an employer of H&S Consultants, I would prefer to employ Paul, who, I am sure would demonstrate his competency, then I would an over-qualified text-book junkie that couldn't apply their knowledge to real situations. Steve
Admin  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2004 17:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram It seems that most respondents are agreeing that key aspects of competence include both knowledge (often expressed as 'qualifications') and also experience of applying that knowledge to real issues. There is also the important issue of whether it's just my self-view of competence, or whether I'm trying to convince others, e.g. actual or prospective employers. Paul's original posting doesn't really consider the process for convincing others that one's self-image is pretty accurate, but I suggest that is actually the key point. Most who are interested don't actually have the time and/or resources to consider every case in detail, so rely to a large extent on the 'independent' assessments of 'experts'. Qualifications are one way of getting an independent assessment of knowledge, but what about experience - how can that be assessed independently? (I'm sure we've all seen CV's which look great, but the person they describe is less impressive face-to-face). Also, what about keeping knowledge updated since original qualifications were obtained? Mainly to tackle this latter issue, most professional bodies have CPD schemes, some rely almost 100% on self-assessment, others include an element of independent verification or audit. A good way to demonstrate OSH competence is to use the current UK (or any other reputable) definition of the professional advisor's role, and to provide brief summaries of work done mapped against the different elements of the role. That's exactly how an NVQ is structured, and why the revised IOSH CPD scheme to be implemented soon uses the NVQ as a basis. You don't have to pay any money to do this, just use the NVQ details from the ENTO website. You will pretty soon see whether or not you regularly perform in all the 'model' competence areas, or only some. You can then decide whether you want to develop those in which you have minimal, or no, experience and/or knowledge. You can also decide whether you are doing this just for your own self-confidence, or whether you want to convince others - if so £10 to join the IOSH CPD scheme and get an element of independent verification is good value! It's not a question of 'letting' individuals be competent, but of assessing the evidence they are willing to provide, against an agreed model. Merely saying "I have x years of experience" is no longer enough - sadly lots of fairly incompetent people in lots of different areas continue to be employed because they work for less-than-competent employers or clients!