Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2004 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser There was an article in our local press in North Scotland regarding a mailing scame, where small businesses are sent a "final notice" warning them that they may face prosecution for not complying with new Health and Safety law. In order to avoid this threat, they simply need to purchase a "compliance pack" for the measly sum of £125 and all their worries will be relieved. Fortunately, a local businessman wasn't convinced straight off and contacted the Local Authority, who confirmed it was a scam. According to the warning on our LA website, this is a national scam. Details of the original story can be found in the alert below: http://www.tradingstanda...em.cgi?file=busi0007.txt If you have or do receive this mailing, please take the time to report it to the nearest Trading Standards office - they will use the number of complaints as a justification for seeking prosecution.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2004 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen Just to confirm Sean's point although this was originally reported back in March a very similar mail shot came through my letter box yesterday. Cost of the package (posters, accident book etc) is £99.95 -£135.95. Although the content is fairly obviously a mail shot the envelope carries the warning that the business may be about to be prosecuted. I'll be sending a copy to the Trading Standards people.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2004 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK Many thanks for the tip off. Although I have not heard of this type of scam happening in Ireland yet, I imagine it will not be long before it does. The correct action of course is to send all details to the trading standards authority. Jim
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2004 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By garry saunders Another one I heard about yesterday was by the issue of an e-mail document. A "Health and Safety Compliance Agency" is reported as stating that the e-mail recipient will be fined for a (mythical) non-compliance offence. To prevent this the "HSCA" ask that a payment be made to them that, I assume, is les that the made up fine. The HSE have declared this a scam. Besisdes the warning I wonder if people sending scams are scums.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2004 14:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Claire Stocker WE had a call from an Estate Agent this morning who had received a letter (which apparently looked like a photocopy)from this so called Health & Safety Compliance Agency asking them to send a cheque for £240 back to them, for which they would apparently receive a certificate of non-compliance! We are waiting for the letter to contact Trading Standards. The letter was apparently from Rochdale.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2004 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Heather Aston I've also had the letter from the HSCA. Very cleverly worded, does not actually say that it's compulsory to register, but it certainly implies that there might be penalties for those who do not. For your £129.25 you get a "certificate of compliance" a "dedictaed registration number" and a written H&S policy statement! According to the leaflet "registering with the HSCA has many advantages for your organisation" - apparently it indicates your commitment to health and safety! Needless to say HSE aren't best pleased. They have a press release out about these scammers (see HSE website) and I understand that the relevant trading standards departments are looking into what action they can take. Heather
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 April 2004 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Confirmation that this matter is being taken up by the legal authorities: source - Risks, the weekly H&S bulletin from the TUC. "Warning over fake health and safety agencies The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is urged firms to ignore information they receive from three firms purporting to regulate health and safety. HSE says it has received hundreds of complaints from companies across the country that have been sent requests for payments of between £125 and £249 which they say are necessary to ensure compliance with health and safety laws. The three firms - Health and Safety Compliance Agency (HSCA), Health and Safety Enforcement Agency (HSEA) and Health and Safety Registration Enforcement Division (HSRED) - have written to companies all over Great Britain on official-looking letterhead asking for the cash. Justin McCracken, HSE’s deputy directory general, said: 'None of these companies is connected to HSE. Organisations should be very wary of any approach from these firms, or any company ‘offering’ similar services. All three firms use wording suggesting they are official enforcement bodies, but they are not.' He added: 'These companies are asking for significant sums of money, claiming they will send out information, much of which HSE provides free of charge.' HSE is liaising with trading standards offices and the police, who are investigating all three companies."