Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2004 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger North I am a safety rep'. My employer runs a large fleet of emergency response vehicles, some of which have been fitted with mobile data terminals (MDT's). These devices give access to various computer systems, including Computer Aided Despatch, text messaging, maps, and location / tracking. The MDT display screens act as touch controls for the system. Screens are installed so that the driver can both see the screen and operate the controls. The screen is fixed in place and cannot be adjusted. The most serious risk is clearly accident caused by driver distraction. Lesser risks include those arising from ergonomic factors. I am aware of INDG382, the ORSA website, Construction and Use regulations, the Highway Code, the DSE regulations, EC guidance, and of Police primacy in this area. Please can anyone point me in the direction of further information on MDT risk management, or of practical examples from the UK or elsewhere in the world? Thanks. Roger
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2004 16:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray From a police point of view there is nothing in legislation to prevent from being installed in the vehicle and directed towards the driver. However, should the police see the driver operating the keys to send a message (whilst driving) then there is an offence of 'not being in proper control of a vehicle'. Should the vehicle also be weaving across the road then there is an offence of 'driving with out due care and attention' or 'reckless driving'. You should ensure that the system is only operated when the vehicle is stationary, and use the definition as described in the mobile phone legislation.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2004 17:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray Just an update one of my officers has been doing a bit of research for me and the fitment can only be used for navigational purposes, aparently there is a stated case which I will endevour to find and forward to you Roger. Martin