Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2004 17:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods I've been at loggerheads with a client regarding the supply and wearing of eye protection whilst using wood working equipment (rip saws plainers spindle moulders etc) I say they are needed because splinters are ejected from them. He says it's a rare occurance and that it would be overkill. Has anyone any comments or info they would like to share? Robert Woods
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2004 18:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Robert As they are a client, they can choose whether to accept your advice. If they don't and something goes wrong, they can expect trouble. All you can do is give your advice in writing and leave them to choose. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2004 20:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Like Paul says, it is up to them if they take your advice or not, but if I were employed by the company as a safety officer I would regard failure to wear PPE when operating woodworking machinery as grounds for initiating the company disciplinary procedure Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2004 21:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller As an ex shopfitter I remember an incident several years ago when a spindle moulder I was using decided to part with a cutter. It went straight through the prefabricated building and fortunately missed everyone on the way out. However two days later one of the directors came in steaming claiming that someone must of taken a gun shot at his car ( Porshe 911) as there was a bullet hole in the rear panel. We all fell about laughing as we realised what the cause of the hole was. The moral of this story is simple. Spindle moulders are killers. They spit out particles (and cutters) at the speed of a high velocity weapon. If I was the safety officer I would not only be insisting on eye protection but Kevlar vests! Mike
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2004 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Mike, You are not far wrong in thinking a Kevlar vest etc. is required: Below is a summary of an article in the February 17 2004 weekly briefing from Safety Smart: "Big sliver in groin kills saw operator A 12-inch (30 cm) sliver that pierced a man’s groin while he was cutting a piece of wood ended up killing him. The 46-year-old from Lake Butler, FL, managed to pull the sliver out and rest while awaiting medical treatment. Co-workers observed very little blood from the injury, but the man later died in hospital. It is believed his death was caused by profuse internal bleeding". And another one from the March 23 2004 briefing: "Woodworkers face serious shop hazards Occupational health authorities in Massachusetts will never forget that day a tool knife killed a 32-year-old woodworker. The knife penetrated a polyacrylic shield (Plexiglass sheet) and then penetrated and exited the victim’s chest before ricocheting off a wall and landing on the floor". Karen