Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2004 19:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Cartwright
We have a coldstore which is used to store frozen food for local businesses. All staff are issued with thermal protective clothing. What is the legal amount of time they can work in the coldstore before they have to come out and take a break.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2004 10:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
Steve - depends on a number of factors such as - the working temperature of the store, the thermal protection of the clothing, what activities are being undertaken in the store etc. You should also take into account whether the motor/door interlock means that work can be undertaken inside without the chiller unit actually blowing (if the unit is still blasting out cold air)or if it is OFF - if so, the temperature inside the unit will start to rise and may have food safety implications, condensation and ice build up and so on.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2004 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Mackay
You may well find BS7915 Ergonomics of the Thermal Environment - Guide to design and evaluation of working practices for cold indoor environments helpfull.

The ACGIH has also produced a very useful document that helps deleop work rest regimes for low temperature working. Drop me an e mail if I may help further
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2004 18:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Smith
I worked within a cold storage facility many years ago now, an industrial freezer.
the temp was a constant -32 degrees, we were issued with protective clothing, footwear, hand protection, once accustomed to the cold temp is was a normal environment, there was no specific time scales that we had to adhere to, even with the motors running and continually cutting in to re-cool the area of around 40000 sq ft, it was actually appeared to be warm. correct protective measures administered, and i think that an 8hr day would be well within limitations that may well be active today.