Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2004 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dutton.
We have a TV studio which, suspends lights from the ceiling and I wondered how the load bearing rigging would be tested and by who. Does this come under LOLER or PUWER. I am tending to think it is PUWER but then I assume it would have to be marked with a safe load limit, which is more LOLER. May be its both. I would be interested to hear if anybody else has a similar situation and what you do. I was going to approach our insurers to get the rigging tested but was not sure if it is something they would do. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mark.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2004 18:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Smith
well i would say it would come under LOLER regs, as it is used to support an article or item, and the fixing itself is the main supporting feature.
the term you used as RIGGING defines the answer to lifting equipment, i know PUWER mentions lifting equipment, but in this instance i would go for LOLER.
the reason it wont have a swl attached to it or a certificate of conformity, is that it has been designed for a particular purpose, and initially tested probably by rule of thumb. the destruction test of the composite materials used to construct the wire rope, is far superior to the weight in which it suspends, being the lights.
as long as it has been correctly installed and fixed and its the best method of suspension, as far as is reasonably practicable.if it contained a marking of test, with a unique id number, and swl marking, the wire would have to undergo a 6 monthly visual test, that in my estimations would not deem it to be reasonably practicable. hope this has given you a few pointers. good luck