Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2004 15:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By paul miles
An employee of ours was recently involved in an incident. He maintained that he was deaf in one ear and could not hear a vehicle reversing. We had no idea that he was deaf in one ear, he had not informed any member of the management team or declared it on his medical questionniare when he applied.This condition could have happened after he was employed. My question is under what regulations has he the legal duty to inform us of any medical condition that may affect his ability to work?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2004 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Brough
Hi Paul. As far as i am aware there are no legal duties imposed on employees to tell them of any medical condition that they obtain. The best cover for this is to have a procedure or to incoporate a statement that they must make the company aware of any medical condition that may affect their health and safety(or others). If this is the case then then under HASWA (Section 7) they have a duty to co-operate with any procedures imposed on them to ensure that you fulfill your duties under section 2. Hope this is some help.If i can help further please do not hesiate to contact me at my direct e-mail. Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2004 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston
Regulation 14 Of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regs 1999. The ACOP points out that employees have certain duties under section 7 of the HSWA but these duties are extended by the above regulation in that:

The employee must report to his employer any work situation which might give rise to a serious or imminent danger to himself or to others if it flows from a work activity.

Being unable to hear vehicles reversing, emergency sirens etc would be classed as breach of the regs.

It is probably esaier to use section 7 of the HSWA.

"take reasonable care of themselves and others..." and "co-operate with the employer..." etc.

Has the employee not followed pre employment medical screening guidelines etc etc

However, the organisation should consider what procedures are in place to tell employees to report health issues. For example as part of your risk assessments do your controls include a procedure for employees to follow if they have a medical condition that may increase risks to them or others in the workplace.

Hope this helps