Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2004 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Chappell Can anyone send me or point me in the right direction for a good DSEAR Risk Assessment for my companies paint spraying booth. Many thanks in andvance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2004 22:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Cooper Ken A risk assessment is only the start. You will need to determine the area classification, which considers the flammability of the vapour, gas or dust and the likely hood of an explosive atmosphere developing, control measures etc. etc. To do it properly you need to be competent. IOSH have a course planned for 25/26 May which covers area classification. There are companys that carry out the task, but tend to be very expensive, e.g. £1200 per area depending upon complexity Regards Barry
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2004 08:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CHRISTOPHER HAYWARD To take the previous post a stage further, you can't do anything until you know the physical characteristics of the materials you are spraying and then you can't do the area classifications unless you are competent. How quickly you become competent will partly depend on how clued up you are on things like physical chemistry, fire, electrical regs and engineering to start with. If you have some background knowledge in any of the above, Sira Test and Certification Lts run courses on area classification at about £250 a head. We did our assessment using an inhouse Chemical Engineer, a Chemistry graduate and a qualified electrician who had been on the above course. As with most things, the HSE don't expect this to be the domain of rocket scientists, especially SME's but I would be wary of biting off more than you can chew. I have some lots of useful stuff but little of it is electronic so if you are interested I will post it.