Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2004 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dean Harris As i work in a fumed silica plant, does anybody have any information available on checking what the dust levels are and how often we should be checking the environment we work in, thanks in advance...first posting
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2004 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CHRISTOPHER HAYWARD You have to decide whether you want to do both personal monitoring and/or background monitoring. There are advantages to both but the former is, I would suggest, essential. Frequency should be at least yearly but I would suggest more often, especially if the levels are near near the OES levels or, and I hope not, exceed them (when you wil need to check the effectiveness of your revised controls). The OES (8 hr TWA) for amorphous silica is 6 mg/m3 for inhalable dust and 6 mg/m3 for respiratable dust. Test methods are laid down by the HSE in MDHS14/3. In practice you might want to get someone in to advise you further. If you manufacture fumed silica (as opposed to just a user), then that makes you one of only a few largish chemical companies and I would have thought the extra knowledge exists somewhere in you organisation.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2004 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd It doesn't really matter. Just perform the industry standard tests. Carry out the tests when the work rate is low, or nil. If the results are bad, do the tests at night when the plant is not running and the workers are not there. Your friendly, highly paid, health and safety consultancy will willingly assist you in when to do the tests and when not to do them. You could also base the results on the MSDS from the manufacturer, which will present the best case scenario to you. You could also have the body-worn filter unit mounted on an employee who had been told to keep out of the way of any dust, or else. There are plenty more ways to have good dust test results. My company has used them all. A 15mg/cuM test result for chromium became a 0.0mg/m in less than two weeks. Remarkable. And no change in the operation at all. Mind you, nobody works at 2100z. Hmmm. I'm sure there are plenty on here who can be more helpful.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 May 2004 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin Hughes Dean. I find Johns reply totally un-professional and un-helpful to you. Health and Safety should mean just that. Not trying all ways to give false answers and readings just to say that the working environment complies with what is expected of it under current legislation. This type of answer gives our profession a bad name and does not help to encourage people to work safely. To try and answer your concerns.Hygiene plays a big role when working in a plant of this nature, cleaning of spillages with vacuum cleaners, regular changes of clothing, correct PPE when dealing with spillages or when a person has to work in a contaminated area. Training in COSHH would also be helpful. Also ensure when the equipment has been earth bonded to eliminate any static discharges that may occur. EH 40 should give you the exposure levels, the company MSDS should give you all other information including disposal requirements. Occupational monitoring of workers should also be undertaken. I have worked in a plant that manufactures this in South Wales, so I have had previous experience of this product and the working environment that it is manufactured, stored and dispatched in. If you require any other info email me direct and I will try and help you out. Regards Kelvin Hughes
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2004 20:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd My reply was to the point, and true. MSDS present the best case from the manufacturers viewpoint, I have several test results carried out on materials that differ so dramatically from the MSDS provided for the SAME material that I can only surmise fraud. The HSE inspector for my work area himself admitted to me that test results carried out FOR employers were unreliable and frequently unrepresentative for the work being done. My own union H&S people told me several ways used to get better results on dust tests, several of which are printed above. The last welding fume test done at my works, by the firms H&S consultancy, were carried out at 2100z at night with NO employees present and the equipment operated by the works manager and the foreman. The results of the PREVIOUS test, carried out at 1445z to 1645z (tea break 1455z to 1515z) lasted a whole 45 minutes (supposed 2 hours) PLEASE don't talk to me about professionalism, I LIVE THE WORK, I SEE THE FIDDLES. I don't buy 30K of new cars but cannot afford workshop extraction.