Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2004 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It was interesting to hear the contractor's view that the creation of some ornamental lakes in one of our properties would come under CDM. It doesn't seem to fit the definition of 'construction' in the Regulations but I would be interested to hear the opinion of others on this.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2004 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Ken I think if look under the definition for a structure you will find that constructing a lake will fit in there. Structure in CDM regulations has a very wide definition. Where it refers to lagoons and reservoirs I would presume that it would not be an unreasonable interpretation to include your ornamental lakes. Would the hazards and design issues not be similar? The nature and scope of the project might have to be scaled down accordingly. Best wishes Ciaran Extract from Statutory Instrument 1994 No. 3140 The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994 ""structure" means— (a) any building, steel or reinforced concrete structure (not being a building), railway line or siding, tramway line, dock, harbour, inland navigation, tunnel, shaft, bridge, viaduct, waterworks, reservoir, pipe or pipe-line (whatever, in either case, it contains or is intended to contain), cable, aqueduct, sewer, sewage works, gasholder, road, airfield, sea defence works, river works, drainage works, earthworks, lagoon, dam, wall, caisson, mast, tower, pylon, underground tank, earth retaining structure, or structure designed to preserve or alter any natural feature, and any other structure similar to the foregoing, or (b) any formwork, falsework, scaffold or other structure designed or used to provide support or means of access during construction work, or (c) any fixed plant in respect of work which is installation, commissioning, de-commissioning or dismantling and where any such work involves a risk of a person falling more than 2 metres."
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2004 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel It's perhaps interesting to ponder on where best to keep the "Safety File"??? Perhaps you ought to tie it to a brick and hurl it into the centre of the pond for safe keeping! There are those of us who feel that the author of the CDM regulations might also find an appropriate home accompanying it!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2004 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Bryan Whilst I agree with Dave, but let's look at it from a practical point of view: 1. Construction. How big, how deep over 2m?, how is it going to be lined (clay or membrane) both have manual handling implications, underground services?, how much water will it hold safely, and probably many more. 2. Design. Is it going to be wildlife and human friendly (no steep edges or sudden changes in level)can it easily be drained for maintenance / repair / cleaning. 3. Management. During construction, keeping kids out. When completed, keeping kids out. If not properly maintained and managed it will soon become a smelly eyesore. How about that lot then!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2004 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Thanks for the responses to date. Let me say that I am not particularly seeking advice on how the job should be done safely as we, as clients, will require the designers and contractor to comply with all relevant standards and guidance - including RoSPA's 'Safety at Inland Water Sites'. For those interested in edge protection and security, it's proposed to fence the lakes with weld-mesh (planted with non-toxic shrubs and buried deep enough to deter rodents) located within a ha-ha (sunken battered trench) to provide 'infinity views'. It's simply the question as to whether the CDM Regs apply - particularly with regard to F10s, appointment of Planning Supervisor, Pre-tender H&S Plans, H&S File and the like. If lakes come under CDM, what about ponds, stream diversions, ditching, rills, etc?