Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2004 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Melanie Harrison
I have been approached by a female warehouse worker who is complaining that she is being asked to lift boxes (one at a time) that are over the recommended guidelines. The average weight per box is 11kg and is being lifted off a conveyor at waist height on to a pallet truck. The rate per hour is carefully controlled. She is citing the human model detailed in the HSE Man Han leaflet. What is the best way to demonstrate to her that we are in fact complying without becoming too technical?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2004 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ronnie hindle
hi mel
it is thought that the safe lifting weight is 25kilo for one person, i could be wrong but the best way is to sit them down and talk to them regarding this issue, i found it worked very well with our employees, we work in the glass industry and is very dangerous indeed and the safe lifting weight for glass is 25 kilo.

hope this helps

Ronnie
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2004 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson
Hi Ronnie I have contacted you direct . Some presentations to maybe help you
Regards
Robert Paterson
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2004 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson
Sorry Melanine
I sent the stuff to Ronnie by mistake. Sending vit to you as well

Ronnie feel free to use it if you want.

Regards
Robert Paterson
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2004 20:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Cartwright
Hi Melanie

I was under the immpression that the 25kg's is only a guideline for men. The rule of thumb is that women can lift two thirds the weight of men. However there is no actual legal limit of what you can or can't lift. It is up to the individual to decide what they can or can't lift. The basic rule is to assess the load. If the person feels they can't lift an object, who are we to tell them they can. Sounds as if she is trying it on.