Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2004 19:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt On Radio 5 today it was mentioned that taking medication for hay fever increased the chance of an accident on the roads by 6 times. Bearing in mind that using a mobile whilst driving apparently increases the chance of an accident by a factor of 4, can we now look forward to a specific law banning driving whilst under the influence of hay fever medication. Whilst I know what the answer will be - the logic defies me.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2004 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Geoff, Surely taking any substance legal or otherwise which may impair a persons driving should be taken seriously. Afterall, pilots and train drivers are not allowed to operate if they are on certain types of medication e.g. that may cause drowsiness. Why should the same priniple not apply to road users? In my opinion driving a vehicle on the road is far more dangerous that driving a train. Any slpit second misjudgement whilst at the wheel could result in a horrific accident. People should be made aware of the dangers so that they can behave responsibly. On the other hand I take your other point in how far do we go to creating a 'nanny state'. Ray
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2004 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Most current hay-fever medications do not cause significant drowsiness, although one of - at least, for me - the better ones was withdrawn a few years ago following heart scares. Those that do carry warnings which I hope are heeded by most sufferers. Nevertheless, the Police do have the powers to pull anyone driving whilst impaired through any type of drug Now the prospect of a hay-fever sufferer driving WITHOUT suitable medication really IS scary. Try sneezing without closing your eyes!!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 May 2004 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If the instructions on the bottle tell you not to drive if you have taken the medicine, isn't there a law about not doing so?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2004 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt I don't know whether specific laws are the answer but I thought there was already a law about driving whilst unfit through drink / drugs? However Geoff is right to raise the issue of driving whilst impaired / tired. Cast your mind back to the Selby accident where the Landrover driver fell asleep at the wheel. He was subsequently sent to prison (I think it was for manslaughter) so a specific law was not needed in that case. If anything, I would introduce a tachograph type system for cars where drivers were forced / advised to take a break of 15 minutes after 2 hours driving. In this age of technology I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to link this to the speedometer. After all, road safety is too important an issue to be left to the driver. Eric
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 May 2004 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood It's an offence to drive while unfit to do so. I recall being advised such by a constable who stopped me once, for a defective brake light. There was a focus at the time on the probability of accidents being caused by the use of recreational drugs, and naturally prescription drugs soon came into the debate. Police in our area were advising anyone with any cold, flu or similar to beware the effects of many of the remedies on offer. I am not sure if you have to know yourself to be unfit or not. Many hay fever remedies also cause drowsiness and are labelled "do not drive or operate machinery". Here all employees are required to disclose their taking of medications likely to have these effects and we find them alternative duties while they are doing so. I believe it would be very easy to cite negligence in the case of an accident where the driver of any vehicle or operator of a machine was, with the knowledge of his employer, rendered unfit through the taking of such medications. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 May 2004 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brett Day A little bit of sensationalism creeping in here I think, the older anti histamines did cause drowsiness and there were very strict warnings about not driving, most anti histamines currently on the market are of the non drowsy type, however, if in the clinical trials one person was affected by drowsiness, it goes on the precautions sheet so for all it states 'may cause drowsiness' unless you are in the small percentage that is affected, the warning is academic. The anti histamine astemizole was withdrawn after heart scares, but when I looked at the report it did note that you were likely to have a 1 in 10,000 chance of having an adverse reaction and or arythmia if you were already suffering from a cardiac condition, in which case you shouldn't be prescribed those drugs. But dry facts like that don't sell papers but the scare stories do. I used to take this drug and found it to be the only one that was affected, so was most aggrieved to find it taken of the market. Speaking to a pharmicist, by way of comparision you stand a 1 in 1000 chance of havng an adverse reaction to aspirin and a 1 in 5000 chance of having an adverse reaction to paracetamol. I currently work in rail (LUL) and the LUL Occupational Health Unit has a list of drugs (allowed and banned) and there are anti histamine drugs that are allowed, as they are classed as non drowsy.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 May 2004 15:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie You have also to consider the risks associated with not taking any medication. People driving with sore watery eyes blurring their vision. Constant, excessive sneezing, which causes you to close your eyes, and can lead to sudden muscle movement and distraction. I am sure that these contribute to a number of crashes during the pollen season.