Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2004 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod McGovern I wonder whether regularly tested circuit breakers (RC or EL) would reduce the need for appliance testing. There is a definite need for visual checks and possibly electrical tests in the harsh environments but for normal appliances, similar to those used in homes, would a check that they were covered by a working circuit breaker not reduce the risk to an acceptable level? Comments appreciated!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2004 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I would urge caution in this. Circuit breakers are not infallibile and do not provide protection in all circumstances. In any case surely it is better to detect deterioration in equipment before it goes faulty rather than waiting until it fails. Furthermore, I would suggest that the financial costs associated with the amount of testing required to ensure the satisfactory operation of all the breakers is unlikely to be significantly less than that of a normal PAT scheme. The more thorough inspection than the daily user checks which is usually associated with the PAT would be difficult to get out of. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics