Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2004 22:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Aitch
As far as I am aware, reporting under RIDDOR to the Reporting Centre at Caephilly is by either employer or self employed person. Today I received confirmation of a F2508. Reporting was anonymous but did give details of injured person and injuries. It appears that one of our employees has contacted the Reporting Centre himself on-line and made out his own report.
The report indicated that he had injured himself at work in July 2003 whilst lifting and that he was off work for 6 or 7 weeks. A complete fabrication as his employment does not require any lifting, he has been off work for no more than 10 days (suspected heart attack - self certified!)during the last 12 months, there is no entry in the accident book, no reporting to his Supervisor and no witness to the alleged incident.
When I telephoned the Reporting Centre to question the F2508 I was told that individuals have the right to make a Report.
If this is the case and not the way I understand the Regulations, then in todays claim culture I can see the system being systematically abused.
Anyone come across self reporting before?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2004 23:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Jay,

I am a bit agog! I can understand someone self reporting an incident that they think the company would rather not notify to HSE, but to completely falsify an accident that didn't happen?!

I assume you have records of his attendance and copies of his pay slips, which would indicate that he was not off for that length of time and that he received pay at the normal rate and not SSP or company sick pay, to protect yourself from the no doubt impending claim?

Would this not be fraud? The furnishing of information so as to mislead or deceive?

It seems to me like he hasn't quite thought through the fundamental flaws in his plan...

Or, perhaps he has another agenda. Perhaps he doesn't want to squeal directly to HSE about things he is unhappy with. However, if HSE receive a few accident notifications, you could receive a visit. Would he relish the thought of you receiving a visit from HSE?

Maybe he thinks there is a problem with manual handling tasks and that HSE might come and have a look at manual handling upon receipt of his report?

Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2004 08:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ANTHONY EVANS
I to have had a similiar experience . An employer who had been dismissed took it upon himself to anonymously report not only a fictitious accident but his feelings that the workplace was unsafe and that certain practices were dangerous.These came through on an F2508. When I received it I contacted the incident contact by phone . They advised me to supply documented evidence to prove the worthlessness of the report.On doing so the Incident centre have now deleted the F2508 from their records.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2004 20:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Aitch
Karen - yes was fully investigated and all documentation shown that he was in work for the 6/7 weeks he states he wasn't and that he was paid fully for the time that he was absent.
Unfortunately HR will not even interview him to obtain his reasons or motives for fear of upsetting a very strong union. However, if this is going to0wards a compensation claim then I will strongly advise our solicitors to take the most expensive route possible against him and the union solicitors, as we have all the evidense we need to disprove all his accusations
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2004 01:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd
"reporting was anonymous"
So, you're just assuming it was the employee in question ?
Maybe it was somebody else, just causing trouble ?
Maybe you'd better let the solicitors handle it, and not start spouting specific, personal, accusations against any individual ?
Maybe I can see a defamation of character starting here ?
Since when did H&S personnel start being "human resources" ?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2004 08:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
You could always ask him if it was him.

For the goal of having the non-existant incident deleted from the records it doesn't really matter. Just supply the evidence and ask them to delete it, which they will.

I would guess you have a compensation claim coming so you need to get this deleted as soon as possible because solicitors seem to take 2508's as gospel.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 May 2004 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Aitch
John - individual concerned has when questioned stated that he made the report with RIDDOR and 'believed that he was either off for that period (6/7 weeks) or was in pain for that period'. Full reason for reporting to RIDDOR and not the company first he wasn't willing to divulge. It is my belief that this has been done without the individual knowing that RIDDOR will send a confirmation copy to the company.
With a high compensation culture in the area it looks like he was jumping on the bandwagon.