Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2004 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
There's an interesting article in this months SHP magazine, by Martin Stear, regarding Regulation 4 of CAWR 2002.
I would be interested to hear how other people have tackled, or intend to tackle, Regulation 4's legal duty, without actually undertaking a survey of their premises.
The message from Martin (of which I am fully conversant of) is "asbestos surveys are not mandatory, and the duty is to manage, not to survey. If you have an asbestos management plan that protects your employees and others - it works".
The main starting point may, however, be to undertake a survey, sample and analyse for the type of asbestos, condition etc.. Whether you choose to do this yourself, or use a surveyor, I still think this is the only practical way to start a management plan?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2004 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion
Seven Steps to Asbestos Management

1. Review where you area. What do you know about the premises? Desk top exercise, review works completed over the years
Dates to consider:-

1970 the use of blue almost stopped completely.
1985 spray coatings were legally banned.
1985 insulation board ceased.
1992 asbestos containing decorative plasters – artex.
1999 asbestos cement banned.
1999 the use if white asbestos was banned (with minor exceptions.

Not just the fabric of the building. Some examples are hairdryers, old electrical fires, gas fires with effects, machinery, gaskets, friction pads, brakes, belts etc. electrical cable and switchgear.

2. Do not work that could disturb asbestos until risk assessment completed.
A system to check before work is started.
What to do if discovered after works started.
Training for you staff and others

3. Complete an initial inspection and act on the findings.
You do not need and expert, you must be able to recognise, treat it as until proven otherwise. Material in good condition, not a problem damaged will release fibres.
High risk areas, lock the door, take samples arrange to repair and seal or remove. Licensed contractors.

4. Develop a strategy for compliance.
Regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations 2002 doe not automatically require you have a survey to identify asbestos.
Three options:-
One – if not asbestos record the fact, you have to be sure.
Two – assume all material contain asbestos (glass and brick). Record in management records.
Three – complete a comprehensive survey.

5. Assess and priorities risk for remedial action.
Three stages: -
One, material risk assessment, type and condition.
Two priority assessments, damage and deterioration of persons disturbing coming into contact etc.
Three overall assessments to be recorded and available should assist in priorities.

6. Develop a long term plan.
Should include location and conditions. How to be recorded, with pictures and dates, plans and drawings, accessed by others, contractors.
Priorities for actions including risk rating.
High risk areas review, restrict access, permit to works, enclosure, monitoring and reviews,
Defined responsibilities, policy statement, contractors who need to be informed.
Signs.

7. Monitor and review.
Action plans, monitoring the condition and locations, recommended every six months, sampling the records for accuracy, checking signs, monitoring awareness of staff, reviewing lessons learnt from asbestos related safety incidents,
Safe systems of working specifications and access to records for contractors and others who might disturb, emergency plans and contingencies.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2004 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
I think what he is saying is that if your premises are of a size and build that you can be confident you know where the asbestos is - then you don't need a survey.

Not sure I completely agree with that one but can see his point.

I do agree that a Cat 1 survey is a complete waste of time (but not for the surveying company of course!).
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2004 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Jones
Tony,

L127, the ACOP for CAW 2002, gives the full requirements for what needs to be done.

As a first step. I have carried out an initial survey (type 1), and although not a "competent person" in respect of asbestos, I have identified at least two areas (out of eight buildings surveyed so far) where there are ACM's. These have been recoded in what I have called the "(Company name) Buildings Asbestos Register".

I have broken down the survey into building construction, cavity insulation, internal partitions, ceiling panels, domestic hot water system, heating system, flooring, decorative finish and a general paragraph. For each of the areas identified above, a thorough inspection has been made with findings entered under each heading detailing either ACM's found or "no known hazard", with a caveat in the intro to clarify "no known hazards" refers specifically to asbestos.

My next step is to put in place a Permit to Work system for the known ACM areas, along with ensuring that our maintenace team feedback anything they may suspect as being ACM as and when they carry out work on the systems and fabric of the buildings.

This is merely our first step in CAW, and, I believe, is managing asbestos in the workplace.

Perhaps wiser council will consider my approach to be insufficient or incorrect, however, as I have read somewhere (memory is going - must be old age!), "a poor survey is better than no survey".

I look forward to seeing others views on the matter.

Regards

David
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2004 12:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt

Me: Class/Cat 1 type survey - a complete waste of time.

Response: A poor survey is better than no survey.

Really?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 May 2004 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion
Surely the requaltions infer something

"Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations", the first word being "CONTROL".
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 May 2004 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Jones
Geoff and Jeff,

Food for thought indeed.

The ACOP refers to a "duty to manage the risk from asbestos in non-domestic premises..." which, surely, equates to "Control".

A sound management strategy will in almost all cases include measures for control of whatever the subject may be. Further, in order to exercise control, that requiring to be controlled has to be known, hence a type/class 1 survey. If this survey reveals what is suspected to be ACM, then a competent person can be engaged to undertake analysis to confirm or otherwise.

Until you know for certain that you have no ACM's, as the ACOP states in the first two sub paras of para 3 to the Introduction - "take reasonable steps to find materials likely to contain asbestos and to check their condition;" and "presume that materials contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence to suppose they do not;".

Allow me to pose a question - if you don't know what you've got, how can you control it?

David
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 May 2004 21:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Daly
1. First I need to declare an interest - I carry out asbestos surveys for clients so my comments may have an element of bias.

2. Bill Macdonald - HSE Head of Asbestos Policy said during a speech on 24 February 2003 "Poor quality surveys are a problem. They lead to a false sense of security which can actually be more dangerous than no survey at all in some circumstances"

3. CAWR 2002 requires the duty holder to carry out an appraisal not a survey. A survey assists to complete the appraisal but does not complete the requirement, risk assessments relating to the outcome of the survey are also required.

4. Any competent person can carry out an asbestos survey. If you believe you are competent carry on. Before going too far however ask yourself if there is a problem at a later date will the HSE and your insurance company agree you are competent.

5. To employ an asbestos surveyor costs money. Most asbestos surveyors carry professional indemnity insurance and third party liability insurance; the premiums are very high as is any asbestos related insurance. An asbestos surveyor should be professionaly qualified and will therefore expect an income to reflect this.

6. One of the more common problems I come across is having to explain to potential clients there is a duty to manage - not necessarily a duty to remove asbestos.

7. Don't forget the reasoning behind CAWR 2002 is to reduce the increasing death rate from asbestos related diseases. At present about ten people every single day die from an asbestos related disease and the situation is getting considerably worse not better. About one quarter of the deaths are "new" cases, mainly in the building trades where young men carry out work on a site not realising they are cutting into asbestos materials. If every site had an asbestos register contractors could be made aware of the presence of asbestos and either adopt a different method of carrying out their work or use appropriate precautions if they have to cut into asbestos.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 May 2004 22:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Yes "Don't forget the reasoning behind CAWR 2002 is to reduce the increasing death rate from asbestos related diseases".However this reflects the situation around 1970.

At that time it was normal practice to cut with a band saw 6ft sheets of asbestos into the right size of material.

The duty is to manage asbestos, is far more than identifying and managing the "known" asbestos in buildings.

many regards Adrian Watson

Admin  
#10 Posted : 07 May 2004 00:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg223.pdf

Although I would be interested to know how you intend to find out if, for instance, artex contains asbestos without some sort of testing....which, given that you must presume it exists, means that samples must be taken for testing. With all due precaution taken as well.

???
Admin  
#11 Posted : 11 May 2004 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
I thought I would take the opportunity, to attach below, a copy of a personal reply that I had from Martin.

I hope its of interest to all.

"I'm not anti surveys, in fact I'm on the management committee of the ABICS certification scheme. I do think surveys are important but when done competently and used correctly. The emphasis of the article was about how you manage asbestos and the role of the survey. Firstly, as ex-HSE and co-author of HSG227 I can guarantee that Regulation 4 does not mean you need to do a survey. It does require you to assess whether you have ACMs and inspect your premises. But these inspections are about making sure you have no issues (e.g. damaged boilerhouse lagging) and does not mean that surveys are mandatory. HSE were (and I'm sure still are) concerned that the focus was too heavily on surveying. They don't even expect 'inspections' by the 21 May.

The point is that many organisations have 100s of premises (some have 1000s). Management of ACMs means to ensure that all work on ACMs is controlled. This is achieved by putting controls in place that means the tradesman/architect/planner etc. finds out what the material is before work starts. They stop and think and ensure that every job, no matter how small, considers the presence of asbestos. We are involved with incidents at the moment where the presence of asbestos was known but there were no controls to prevent disturbance. This means checking the register or taking a sample for analysis. You can control every job by taking a sample each time but for most organisations this is not ideal and can only be a short term fix. But develop your controls NOW and build up you knowledge in the long term. With all the controls in place, nobody is exposed. Then plan surveys over the coming months and years. As you build up your knowledge you can use this as part of your already established controls. Tradesmen are controlled NOW and in the future.

But the work is only controlled if there are systems in place and that everyone is trained and know their roles and responsibilities. If they don't, they work may go ahead and asbestos is disturbed, even if a survey exists. So you can't control without some kind of system or procedure but you can control without a survey.

I advise my clients to do surveys but to plan them. What they need to do know is work out how they are going to stop uncontrolled work on ACMs. In the longer term surveys can be planned, prioritising them. Some buildings may not need surveying for a long time (e.g. a redundant warehouse). If you have many premises then carry out quick walk through inspections to see if you have any major issues (i.e. damaged materials that are not obviously asbestos free).

It is inconceivable that organisations believe that by completing a survey they are compliant. HSE wants to know how ACMs are being managed now not that you have just carried out a survey or you have them planned. The bottom line is that its not about knowing where they are but controlled any work that disturbs buildind materials.

These are my views but they are also those of Bill MacDonald and other ex-HSE colleagues. I worked for HSE for 11 years and from the concept of Reg 4 to its delivery.

Please feel free to copy this to the chat forum if you wish.

Thanks for listening

Martin"
Admin  
#12 Posted : 11 May 2004 15:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin A Stear
I'm not anti surveys, in fact I'm on the management committee of the ABICS certification scheme. I do think surveys are important but when done competently and used correctly. The emphasis of the article was about how you manage asbestos and the role of the survey. Firstly, as ex-HSE and co-author of HSG227 (the supporting guidance) I can guarantee that Regulation 4 does not mean you need to do a survey. It does require you to assess whether you have ACMs and inspect your premises. But these inspections are about making sure you have no issues (e.g. damaged boilerhouse lagging) and does not mean that surveys are mandatory. HSE were (and I'm sure still are) concerned that the focus was too heavily on surveying. They don't even expect 'inspections' by the 21 May.

The point is that many organisations have 100s of premises (some have 1000s). Management of ACMs means to ensure that all work on ACMs is controlled. This is achieved by putting controls in place that means the tradesman/architect/planner etc. finds out what the material is before work starts. They stop and think and ensure that every job, no matter how small, considers the presence of asbestos. We are involved with incidents at the moment where the presence of asbestos was known but there were no controls to prevent disturbance. This means checking the register or taking a sample for analysis. You can control every job by taking a sample each time but for most organisations this is not ideal and can only be a short term fix. But develop your controls NOW and build up you knowledge in the long term. With all the controls in place, nobody is exposed. Then plan surveys over the coming months and years. As you build up your knowledge you can use this as part of your already established controls. Tradesmen are controlled NOW and in the future.

But the work is only controlled if there are systems in place and that everyone is trained and know their roles and responsibilities. If they don't, the work may go ahead and asbestos is disturbed, even if a survey exists. So you can't control without some kind of system or procedure but you can control without a survey.

I advise my clients to do surveys but to plan them. What they need to do know is work out how they are going to stop uncontrolled work on ACMs. In the longer term surveys can be planned, prioritising them. Some buildings may not need surveying for a long time (e.g. a redundant warehouse). If you have many premises then carry out quick walk through inspections to see if you have any major issues (i.e. damaged materials that are not obviously asbestos free).

It is inconceivable that organisations believe that by completing a survey they are compliant. HSE wants to know how ACMs are being managed now not that you have just carried out a survey or you have them planned. The bottom line is that its not about knowing where they are but controlling any work that disturbs building materials.

These are my views but they are also those of Bill MacDonald and other ex-HSE colleagues. I worked for HSE for 11 years and from the concept of Reg 4 to its delivery.

Thanks for listening

Martin
Admin  
#13 Posted : 11 May 2004 20:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Firstly, as someone who is qualified to undertake asbestos surveys, and having undertaken a number (internally to the company) over the last 18 months, I would state that if you don't know where or what it is (i.e. without having a competent survey) how can you manage it to the standards required? Irrespective if whether the duty is to manage and not to survey, if you don't really know what your dealing with your not in a position make a competent assessment and hence the management plan may be overated, over complex and watse valuable resources.

A type 1 survey (presumtive) is all well and good, but in the average factory complex, there are a lot of materials that may or may not be ACM's. to attempt to 'manage' all of these materials on a day to day basis on the level of a presumtive survey is not cost effective and it is not good practice. How many other potentially life threatening substances do you manage by guesswork?

Secondly, if a survey is of use, and in most cases it is, how can this be achieved. Two routes exist, namely one pays for a qualified asbestos surveyor to come in and do a type 2 survey, or you do the asbestos surveyors course yourself, complete the suveys (3 surveys required), submit them for scrutiny (to BOHS), and if successful get the certification as a qualified asbestos surveyor - the DIY route for companies that also affords you additional and useful qualification (and perhaps assists with your CPD etc), at a lesser cost perhaps than employing an asbestos surveyor?

Lastly, after whatever route is taken, as above, you have a comprehensive asbestos survey that will enable you to identify what is and what is not an ACM and enables a competent asbestos management plan to be put into place where you know, 'so far as is reasonably parcticable' that you are not exposing persons to risk from exposure to an ACM (i.e. you are managing it and have a written system for doing so - your asbestos management plan) and thereby meeting the requirements of the CAW Regulations, and in particular reg 4.

It is not rocket science, and a good asbestos management plan can be achieved by diligent assessment and employing the CAW Regs/ACoP and MHDS 100 to ensure a thorough job is done. This will inspire confidence in your contractors (maintenance works on your site) and employees (Consultation don't forget) as well as your boss, that you are doing a professional job and utilising available resources in the best manner.

Tickling around the periferies in asbestos management and perhaps failing in the long term may have consequences...

Stuart
Admin  
#14 Posted : 12 May 2004 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
My problem with all this starts with the Type 3 surveys. I am amazed at how often the disclaimers turn this into a Type 2 in effect. I get information on any samples taken but no indication of which areas have been surveyed. I need specific statements to let me know what has been looked at, in which area or room or riser or void etc, lack of mention to me means lack of survey.

The intrusive nature of a type 3 is often weakened by statements such as "could be reasonably practicably reached without undue damage to decoration" or "all suspected material revealed by visual inspection" etc etc. As a contractor I have a duty to manage premises under my control by virtue of a contract but the surveying side is currently letting such as myself down very badly at the moment.

Bob
Admin  
#15 Posted : 12 May 2004 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Dunlop
Isn't there also a duty to educate as well?
I was informed yesterday (by a third party) that a fire alarm engineer tasked with rectifying a fault on a ceiling mounted detector refused to carry out the work because he thought that the artexed ceiling contained asbestos!!

Bob
Admin  
#16 Posted : 12 May 2004 16:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin A Stear
As I stated in my earlier note (and my article) asbestos surveys are a valid part of an asbestos management plan. The simple point about them not being manadatory is to counter those who say they are.

The point is simple, if you are starting from scratch you need to manage your asbestos now, not in the future when you have completed your surveys. For many it will take time (in Stuart's case 18 months), for others years. As you acquire this knowledge (over time) you still need to prevent exposure. You can't wait until the surveys are done.

So you manage now and build up the knowledge in time. So you don't know where the hazard is, you may not for some time, but you can still control the risk.

I wrote HSG 227 (A Comprehensive guide to managing asbestos in premises) on the back of 20 years experience (surveys, clearances, management etc.). I did all this back in the 80s. I'm not trying to be clever, just stating that I'm not an ex-Civil servant who wrote without experience.

So let the surveys continue (the good ones) but lets also manage from today. Many have been rushing surveys ready for the 21 May only to shelve the report when complete. My concerns all along have been that people have been missing the point about why they commissioned the survey. If you have done your survey then that's great but don't forget what it's all about. If you have not doen your surveys, keep calm and don't panic - above all plan and start controlling now, not after the surveyor can schedule you in.

Martin
Admin  
#17 Posted : 13 May 2004 19:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
I agree with Robert on the language and detail that can be presented in 'survey' reports, but it is up to the client at the time of the desk-top survey and walk-through to get his brief across to the surveyor on what exactly he wants in the respect of presentation of information in the survey document.

Apart from the usual bumph, analysis and algorythm etc, there should be detailed plans marked up of sampling points - or if plans are not available the surveyor should supply drawings in the survey report etc.

In addition, and whilst samples taken that do not contain ACM can be ommitted from the algorythm etc, details of findings should be fully explained and areas surveyed - or not as the case maybe (and the reasons why not) fully given in the survey report.

If your not getting what you want its usually for three reasons:

1) either the surveyor has not provided a suitable and sufficient report (see MHDS 100) or

2) your brief was not comprehensive enough and the surveyor has had to guess what it is you want, and not guessed correctly!!

3) no matter what is presented some clients are never happy if they have to pay for it!!

Stuart