Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2004 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill
As they are not part of Great Britain, what Acts, Regulations, ACOP's apply (if any)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2004 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
As I understand it the states of Jersey and Guernsey have to comply with EU directives, and they do that by having their own specific laws and general duties as well using the MHSWR as the standard. There is some enforcement in both islands, but I don't know what happens on the really small ones. I am in process of helping Guernsey set up a Safety Association (Jersey already has one).

Allan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2004 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
The Channel Islands are not part of Great Britain but are within the British Isles and give allegiance to the Queen. They are not part of the EU but seem to try to follow EU directives. Alderney, Sark, Herme, Brecqou, Lihou, etc are all part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey which, like Jersey, has its own government (States).
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2004 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Following on from above, see http://www.hse.guernsey.gg/HealthAndSafetyLaw.html with regard to Guernsey's H&S Law and HSE. I am not so familiar with Jersey but suspect that a similar system operates.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2004 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rog Birkinshaw
Health and safety in the Channel Islands is governed by their own laws, but as you would expect, they are not dissimilar in their adoption of EU directives, framework and aims to the health and safety legislation in mainland UK.

The Health and Safety at Work (Jersey) Law 1989 issued by the States of Jersey sets out a framework for dealing with health and safety issues in the work environment.

Under Part 2 of this Law are Articles 3 to 8 which set out the employer's and other's duties in a similar manner to the relevant sections of our own HASAWA 1974.

The HASAWL (Jersey) enables various regulations and associated ACoP's as HASAWA 1974 does in the UK.

The Health and Safety Inspectorate, based in St Helier, Jersey, are responsible to the States of Jersey Employment and Social Security Department for the enforcement of health and safety legislation.

Contact details of the Inspectorate (unless they have changed recently) are :

Health and Safety Inspectorate
Employment and Social Security Department
PO Box 55
Philipe Le Feuvre House
La Motte Street
St Helier
JE4 8PE

Tel 280473

I am sure you will find the Inspectors are only too willing to help the health and safety aspect of your potential involvement in Jersey or the other Islands.

Whatever your involvement, I recommend an initial 'fact finding' visit around July / August.