Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2004 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Dominy

Is there any concrete legal requirement for the wearing of Safety Head protection whilst undertaking work on a roof ?

I appreciate that you are required to assess the risk of an individual hitting there head or being hit by tools/ materials whilst on the roof. Does the requirement to wear Head Protection rest solely on this assessment or are there any other considerations?

Another way i have looked at is that if the Site is declared as a mandatory Safety Helmet area for everyone else on site, If the enforcement of wearing Helmets for Roof workers is relaxed it sends out a negative message to those at ground level.

I would appreciate your comments

Many Thanks

Stuart
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2004 14:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James K
Legislatoin requires that PPE must be worn while on a site. ( in Ireland, and I imagine everywhere else also)
Recently when I started this job, I noticed that hard has were an item that was rarely found on heads of workers. I got the usual excuses..."Nothing will hit me here only bird poo"..."There is no-one else on the site onlu us"...There is no-one working overhead, why sould we have to wear one" etc etc.
The day I started visiting sites I declared that hard hats were to be worn by everyone once inside the site bounderies whether it is only the start of ground works or steel erection. No matter what tpe of job...the hard hat was to be worn.
This is now paying dividends.
Accident stats are down and generally the attitude to H&S on the various sites is excellent.
I do not know the reqiurements are the UK but legislation states here that PPE
( including hard hats ) must be worn on site.
My advice is to infrm everyone that they must adhere to legislatoin and wea PPE at all times. If you dont, you are going to find it very hard to draw and define a line whereby hats should or should not be worn by workers.
Jim
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2004 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews
The UK Regulations state that an employer must ensure that employees "wear suitable head protection, unless there is no foreseeable risk of injury to his head other than by his falling". So if someone is working on a roof with no foreseeable risk of anything dropping on/hitting his head there is no legal requirement to wear head protection. However, I agree with Jim that if you allow workers to not wear hard hats on some parts of the site, but require it on other parts, this makes it very difficult and time consuming to enforce. The other thing to consider is that if you allow them to remove their hard hats on the roof, when they need to come down they will probably "forget" their hat. The best way is that everyone on site wherever they are wear hard hats.

Richard
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2004 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Dowan
The wearing of any PPE is down to risk assessment, altough lots of sites these days make every one wear hard hats that is mainly for ease of enforcement.
Head protection is not just about falling objects but also about protecting aginst "protruding objects". As struck by a fixed object is a common accident type I would say that any one working on a roof where ther is a risk of falling objects or a risk of being struck by a fixed object should wear head protection
Regards Dave
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2004 17:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
At the end of the day the Principal contractor is able to make wearing a hard hat one of the site rules and as such there could be enforcement under the relevant aspects of CDM Principal contractors duties

Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2004 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Eden
I was recetly on a site where the roofers were permitted to not wear safety head gear whilst working on the roof of a building. Perfectly safe for them not to do so, how ever as soon as they come down to earth they wander around with out a safety hat causing untold arguments with site management. This proves making exceptions on a site does not work, stick to one site rule and if the roofing fraternity don't like it tough - your site your rules