Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2004 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hello all, Has anyone ever fitted anything to a forklift truck to protect the driver from rain? I have seen people tie polythene or cardboard to the top of the ROPS, but the only type of cab I have seen that protects the drivers from the rain is a fully enclosed one, like on a sideloader. What does everyone else do? Any forktruck drivers I know wear a waterproof coat and a hat if they have to go out in the rain in a counterbalance truck. The ROPS of the truck has 4 posts going up and the top of it is like a grid. Would it be OK to affix something permanently to the top of this (as long as it didn't affect the drivers visibility)? Open to suggestions, Karen
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2004 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams One along the road from us has a very fetching red and white parasol advertising alcoholic beverage that abviously enjoyed a previous life in a beer garden!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2004 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Crump Hello Karen Go to the link below. http://www.bmb-weatherproofcanopies.co.uk/ this should answer your question. regards Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2004 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Thanks to all those who responded on the posting and by e-mail. A pity we cannot post photos on the forum, I would love to see the one with the beer parasol... Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2004 22:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope Karen I had 10 years using forklifts, sometimes out in the rain. I would rather sit there in wet weather gear and have the best visibility around the truck than have one of these flexible affairs that have creases, smears of dirt and no windscreen wipers. I've got my customers to remove them. If a truck has a manufacturer's rigid cab that is a different matter. Chris
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2004 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew F We have fitted cabs to several of our trucks, this increased the amount of 'accidents' and has not been popular with the drivers. Has anyone fitted plastic front screens to trucks, I would like to do this now to ensure all glass is removed from the workplace.