Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2004 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyfed Rowlands
I am currently updating the above procedures and would be grateful for any assistance. Secondly, I have made many enquiries with regard to blast container bins and the cheapest quote I have received amounts to £624 (per bin). Has anyone bought any cheaper?

Many Thanks

Dyfed Rowlands
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2004 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pauline Burrell
Dyfed

If you have access to Jane's Yearbooks (www.janes.com) you will find that suppliers of this type of equipment appear in the EOD addition. There are no prices, but it may give you contacts for alternative sources.

I've done a bit of work in the past on bomb evacuation procedures. If you want me to have a look at your existing procedures or have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and help

Pauline Burrell
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2004 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Egan
Shouldn't you just have an evacuation procedure? I don't think the home office guidance suggests such a device, If you need it 5 years from now, you'll probably forget where you put it anyway.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2004 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By johnwaterson
Hi Dyfed

If you are unlucky enough to come across any IED's then the last thing you want is anyone to be approaching it, picking it up and placing it into a blast container. The only people who should be handling IED's are EOD officers. Take as much detail as possible from a safe distance and pass onto the relevant agencies. I have experience in bomb evacuation drills so if you require any other assistance give me a call.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2004 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyfed Rowlands
With reference to my previous thread (blast bins), I was simply making price enquiries on behalf of my Director. At no point did I mention that my employer was going to purchase one and I apologise if you thought so.

I do have procedures in place but they are inadequate and need urgent revision. I believe a risk assessment would be a good systematic approach of dealing with this issue.....has anybody completed one? If so, could I have a copy please, please, please?

Many Thanks

Dyfed Rowlands

Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2004 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By andrew nigel harris
Evacuation should consider the potential type and location of a device. In certain cases evacuation may increase the number of casualties.
The Emergency Planning Centre at Easingwold & EP Association has some good advice.
Sorry no contact details.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2004 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
Dyfed,

I used to be The Training Manager at The Ministry of Defence Service(MGS) Training School at MoD Police Training School Wethersfield Essex and I used to teach "Bomb Scene Management" If you would like any assisttance e-mail me at rod.douglas@ukds.co.uk.

Aye,

Rod D