Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2004 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Egan
Has anyone any experience of EL claims from people being bitten on the hand when posting through a letterbox? Do the Post Office have to settle 100's of claims of this nature? I don't see our local Pat wearing any PPE, is it all in the training? Is liability all down to the dog owner/house occupier?

Yours doggedly Nick
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2004 21:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mork
Royal Mail have an A4 ring binder on this subject with some good information. Try speaking to your local Royal Mail delivery office manager to see if s/he'll show it to you (not the same as The Post Office). If you're a competitor to Royal Mail s/he may not want to show you.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2004 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
We do indeed have quite a lot of dog bites - around 2,000 a year. We also have a lot of animal attack incidents, e.g. where the postie gets chased down the path by the dog and doesn't clear the gate in a single bound.. So we have very detailed procedures including training on how to deliver safely, how to deal with animals and how to identify a house where there's a dodgy dog or other animal.

It's a thick A4 binder, and therefore I won't offer to make it generally available. But if anyone wants more information on specific issues, just ask.

As to claims, fortunately most of the injuries are relatively minor. I don't have any figures on numbers or value readily available, but the numbers aren't as big as one might expect.

Hope this helps,

Allan
(Head of Safety, Royal Mail Group)