Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2004 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard i have a friend who is a hairdresser, who is 2 months pregnant. Her employer has not carried out an assessment and has no intention to at this moment in time. What risks are there to the unborn baby and the mother to be? And what action could be taken to get the employer to carry out an assessment? Thanx in advance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2004 22:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope Richard I have a customer who is part of a high street hairdresssing chain; they are very diligent about H&S. However most indpendant salons have nearly no interest in the subject ! As far as I am aware there is nothing out there specific about hairdressing; however the hse have the best advice under the heading new & expectant mothers - they have a leaflet free of charge as well called INDG 373 - on page 3 it says that standing for long lengths of time is a risk (they are refering to fatigue and varicous veins etc I guess)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2004 06:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Richard, I have e-mailed you direct, however under Regulation 3 of The Mangement of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 it is an absolute duty "Employers are required to make a suitable and sufficient assessment of risks" It is not only the Health & Safety and of course Welfare of the mother but also that of the unborn child. I suggest your advise your friend accordingly. Aye, Rod D
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2004 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Craven Richard Have e-mailed you direct with a sample Pregnant Workers/New Mothers risk assessment procedure and hazards checklist. Mike
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2004 15:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Swift Mike I also have a similar issue at the moment. Would you mind emailing a copy of the sample assessment procedure and checklist to me as well? Thanks and Kind Regards Paul Swift
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2004 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Its actually Regulation 16 of the Management of Health and Safety Regulations 1999. A phone call to the Local Authority H&S Enforcement section may be an idea, I am sure they would be more than happy to hear of such caring employers, (if there are 5 or more employees then the assessment must be documented). As other respondents have indicated there is a free leaflet downloadable from the HSE website.