Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2004 05:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hector I am in the process of re-writing the companies HSE procedures and wondered if there was any particular structure needed in doing so, such as introduction, scope, responsibilities and objective Etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2004 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond I usually begin with an introduction that says why the subject is important (often including statistics). The introduction also talks about the H&S policy statement. I then use the main Headings of OHSAS 18001; Planning, Implementing, Checking, and Reviewing. The planning section - usually includes sub-headings such as reponsibilities, training etc. Finally I have a 'further information' section - which includes my phone number and any important HSE leaflets etc. I use the guidelines from the Plain English Campaign website, I put loads of clipart on my documents and I use Stylewriter software. This is just my approach - it's a matter of personal taste. However, my manual has proved popular to staff, managers and inspectors because they say it is easy to follow.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2004 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze The most pertinent point made by Nigel is: "It must be easy to follow." If it isn't easy then people just won't read it and you're just adding to the fire loading of the building. Try and cut the rubbish out (you know, the same repetitive stuff that appears at the top of every procedure - it's a killer for anyone trying to read it) and if possible keep it to one page. If it needs to be stated, and it's at the top of every procedure, then consider putting it into the policy section. Obviously, if you're following a standard like 18001, then you need to check with your external auditor that you can do this. Also check the requirements of any existing Codes of Practice etc. There's no point in making massive procedural changes if you end up by not complying with the required standard. If you can, get rid of the words altogether and use a flowchart then do so, it's far easier to follow (especially when auditing). Try not to be too specific e.g. by stating the manager must countersign somthing, if the forman is competent to do so - as you will end up with a minor non-conformance when the auditor discovers the forman has countersigned a document in the managers absence. Just some thoughts for you to go on with.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2004 11:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I am no expert in writing procedures, but I have done quite a lot of them. Assuming you are writing seperate procedures as opposed to a manual of some kind, my advice would be 1. First find out what people do now. If there are no problems with what they are doing then write the procedure to reflect the established way of doing things. The procedure can always be revised later if necessary. 2. Version and revision control is a much more difficult thing than many imagine. It's all too easy to end up with three different revisions all with the same revision number on. We use an excellent piece of software called QPulse which does revision control fand archiving for us, and handles electronic sign-off and authorisation of documents by digital signatures of managers. 3. Each procedure should contain a title and revision number, the purpose of the procedure, its scope of application, the reference standards applicable to it, technical definitions, defined roles and responsibilities, the text of the procedure itself and a list of reference documents such as appendices, control forms, etc. Try and keep the as language plain and simple as possible. It must be capable of being fully understood by all those expected to follow it. Most auditors will expect to see a master documentation file of some sort with a master copy of each procedure signed off by the appropriate managers. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2004 12:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Don't forget to write in 'active' rather than 'passive' voice! People often write health & safety procedures in the passive voice. Passive voice looks professional - if you like to sound intellectual, academic, cold and pompous! But, it is hard to read and is not effective at getting people to do things For example, Passive: "It is recommended that risk assessment schedules are prepared by line managers" or Active: "If you are a line manager, write a risk assessment schedule!" For more advice, look at the Plain English Campaign web site; www.plainenglish.co.uk – and try out the 'Stylewriter' demo software from www.editorsoftware.com
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2004 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp I agree with all the comments thus far but would also add, to ensure the procedures are concise, practicable and easy to read, give a selection to those people who are going to implement them e.g. front-line staff, spervisors, managers etc. Ray
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2004 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Thanks for stating that Ray - sometimes you can forget to say somthing because it appears so obvious to you. If you don't involve the people who complete the procedure on a day to day basis, then you only end up alienating or upsetting them. An upset operative is generally considered to be a bad thing as (s)he tends not to follow the procedure if they can't see the point of it. It's all about ownership.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 20 May 2004 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hector Gents, Thank you all very much indeed, your comments are in line with what I have already done, although it is always reasuring to get a second opinion. I fully agree with the comments on ownership, in order for them to work it needs someone to drive it. Once again many thanks. Hector.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 20 May 2004 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Bennett Flowcharts are the way to go (Visio software). Try to integrate Safety, Health, Environmental & Quality into what your trying to achieve, thus reducing the need to write procedures or draw up flowcharts for each of them.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 21 May 2004 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Try the following layout, which was recently agreed by our managers; 0:00 Policy Heading INTRODUCTION This is a short outline of what the Policy is about and its meaning. Mention other related Policies and linking if relevant. 0.1. SCOPE This Policy relates entirely to a specific set of hazards and where these may be encountered. Mention how ‘wide’ the contents will be and how much will be covered. Also mention what will not be covered and why. 0.2. LEGISLATION 0.2.1. The’XXYYWW’ Regulations 1992 requires that …. mention what is relevant about the Regulations. Add additional Regulations as relevant. 0.3. INTERPRETATION 30.4.1. ‘Word’, means…… mention all terms in the document that could give rise to confusion and interpret them in simple language. 30.5. POLICY STANDARDS Responsible Managers will ensure that the following standards are met to minimise risks arising from the mentioned hazards. The desired Standards are categorised for assessment; • A • B • C 0.5.1. A 0.5.1.1. List all agreed standards for implementation. 0.5.2. B 0.5.4.1. element etc. 0.5.4.1.1. sub element etc. Note: Where there is overlap if headings or content of Standards, the relevant hyperlink or reference should be created to link directly to the Policy that deals with the specific controls for that content. MANAGEMENT CONTROLS 0.6.1. Site Managers will implement this Policy by following the Company Management Guidance Document 00.1. 0.6.2. Site Managers, supervisors and employees will receive awareness training in accordance with Policy 3.31 and ‘others’ will have additional specific competence training in vehicle and pedestrian risks. 0.6.3. Site Managers will sign and date the Risk Assessment, etc. 0.6.4. Site Managers will implement a system to ensure that induction training is given to all at risk persons who come on to Site. 0.6.5. Site managers will keep Records which demonstrate that this Policy is being implemented. 0.7. MANAGEMENT REVIEW 0.7.1. Site Managers will carry out an annual review of the implementation of this Policy, including the Site-specific ‘XXXX’ Safety Risk Assessment, except where a significant change in ‘something’ demands an earlier review 0.7.2. Site Managers will ensure the Risk Assessment, Site Rules and Site Safety Plans remain current. 0.7.3. The Regional Director will ensure that Regional Audits on the implementation of this Policy are conducted periodically. This Policy format is supported by a Formal Guidance document, also with its agreed format. Hope this helps, George