Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2004 10:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Ahem! Calm down! Count to 10! Just had to tell you beautiful people (everyone is a beaut this morning!!)that I got my permanent migration visa for Oz this AM. Not been on this forum much recently due to a visa preoccupation. Booking flights to Brisbane for 16/17 June. If anyone is thinking of doing the same I'd be only too pleased to try and lead them through the arduous task of getting the damn visa. Anyway, I'm off to get plastered tonight!! Have fun. ps nobody mention Huntsmans, Redbacks, Whitetails, Dunnys, Funnelwebs, Governor conches, Box jelly fish, sharks or the fact that Oz has 10 of the World's 10 most poisonous snakes - I just won't listen...today!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2004 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment pps my job is up for grabs in the June SHP - anyone interested, give me a call.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2004 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anita Parkinson Bryn. Congratulations, hope you enjoy your new life, must be very exciting, I envy you, as i;m sure alot of people will, won't you miss the rain though !!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2004 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Your are finally going then? I note well, that your list at the end of the first posting doesn't include Richard Spencer
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2004 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Congratulations, Just keep thinking Air Conditioning - it will be installed next week. Mind you as it is winter in Oz at the moment - I think that means Brisbane only gets up to what is it 20°C you wont need it for 5-6 months. Have fun and enjoy your 27 hour flight - 1st class I hope Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2004 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Matthew Joseph Congratulations Bryn! If you BUMP into Richard down there, keep him quiet! MJ
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2004 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Strewth mate, a couple of tips for you from someone who has been there. Carlton Cold is the best bottled lager, and just up the road is a fantastic beach resort called Surfers Paradise, very aptly named. No worries mate.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 20 May 2004 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Bryn A slippery-dip is a childrens slide, thongs are flip-flops, sand-shoes are plimsoles (pumps), chips are crisps, "fair dinkum" means "honest" and for goodness sake, don't DARE criticise Vegamite - just have a few beers first, eat it on a piece of toast and tell the locals it tastes like heaven - they'll love you forever!! Wines from the Barossa Valley (South Australia) are generally very good and the Cabernet Sauvignon from the Hunter Valley is excellent. I grew up over there (South Australia) and would love to go back one day...... I hope everything goes well for you - keep in touch, and as you'll be going to Brisbane it would be a good idea to take your "101 Banana recipe ideas" book with you!!! Best wishes, Eric
Admin  
#9 Posted : 20 May 2004 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Now I'm worried!! Why is the name Richard Spencer being held up alongside notorious types of poisonous Australian fauna? Do I want to meet him? I've obviously been away for far too long. Looking to settle either in the Redlands (no surf :-( or in Arundel just up from SP :-) Got my board waxed already!! Will check out the Carlton Cold.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 20 May 2004 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Wishing you all the very best Bryn. Karen P.S. We've identified nearly every hazard for you, but don't forget your sunscreen!!!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 20 May 2004 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Karen I had a little chuckle about the sun screen, you made a good point. Richard
Admin  
#12 Posted : 21 May 2004 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods Well done Bryn. If your not a lager drinker have a bottle or two of Victoria Bitter. An ex-girlfriend lives near Darwin e-mailed me a picture of a trio of chilled VBs' dripping with condensation from the near tropical atmosphere. Enough to drive a man to alcoholism. All the best Bob Woods.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 21 May 2004 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Bren, Good riddance! - Welsh sheep got to know about your particular preferences did they? What about box jellyfish and the blue ringed octopus - they seem to have been forgotten about. Have you received that reference for me yet? That's the only reason I'm being nice. Are you going to watch the Rugby when England get over there - at least 4 fifths of your family are English after all! I presume you'll be back on line once you've settled. Good luck Byron Rob
Admin  
#14 Posted : 22 May 2004 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle So, we are finally getting rid of you eh!! No seriously, hope you have the time to enjoy your new environs. Aus is a big place and there's lots to see, so make sure, apart from the 4 letter word (WORK), that you set aside enough time to get around and enjoy the place... Where and what is your job? let me know, OK pom... Stuart
Admin  
#15 Posted : 23 May 2004 22:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Ahh! Robbin Toad Wondered when you'd come out of ya pond! No reference yet matey...lucky for you. Told you before about sheep - don't knock it until you've tried it!! June 21 is arrival date in Brisbane. Just in time to see England wiped by the Aussies. Stuart, No job yet but I have just applied for a Quad Bike tour guide on Moreton Island. Genuine! Thanks for all the encouragement people. I'll be lurking this forum again soon after arrival and will no doubt let you know the temperature. Regards
Admin  
#16 Posted : 31 May 2004 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Hi Bryn I don't know how you can tear yourself away from the NHS!! I was over there 18 months ago and had I been 10 years younger I think I would have stayed. Managed to find myself in Brisbane on the first (disastrous) day of the test match. Did I get ripped or what - but the great thing about pommie bashing is its done with such good humour!! A couple of weeks earlier I happened to be in Sydney as poor old HMS Nottingham was getting the Navy's equivalent of the AA - a blow to British Naval pride which the Aussies pounced on with (good humoured) glee. Of course, since then we have had the Rugby. Funnily, the only thing the Aussies remember about that is beating New Zealand. If you are more of a Moreton Island person, then Surfers Paradise and the Gold Coast are hell on earth - Oz's version of the Costas. North of Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast is less over-developed. My nearest spot to paradise was Fraser Island. 70 miles of beach shared only by a handful of 4x4's and a few dingos. Lake Mackenzie has pure white sand and the clearest, bluest water you will find in or out of a swimming pool. But without the sun-beds. Enjoy! John
Admin  
#17 Posted : 01 June 2004 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Just do the risk assessments and keep your PPE on 24/7 and you'll be OK. Stick with the Forum, Bryn - I still need a few allies here. With best wishes, Ken Taylor
Admin  
#18 Posted : 01 June 2004 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Bryn In terms of job hunting I take it that you have identified that some jobs are posted on the SIA discussion forum http://www.sia.org.au/fo...bd6558c825aeab&forumid=1 Regards, Peter
Admin  
#19 Posted : 02 June 2004 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment As my final day at work approaches I find that I have less and less time to do more and more work. That includes responding to those who have privately mailed me. I will respond before the 10th June! Peter - Thanks.Have just become a member of SIA (thanks in part to NEBOSH Diploma /MIOSH and RSP)and get job bulletins direct to my PC. John - know what you mean about Gold Coast, very tacky, however my eldest thinks we're buying a house on the beach and he will just step out into the surf from his bedroom patio!! In reality we're probably buying land in the Redlands someplace (Victoria Point, Redland Bay) and building a bespoke house. How big depends on the currency rate when we complete the house sale on the 14th. Getting more and more dollars per day at the moment and it looks as though the house prices in Brisbane are on the way down too. Tried to get tickets to the England v Oz rugby but it was sold out - there'll probably be more expats than Wallaby fans. Must go, more work! Still, at least we have a break in Singapore to look forward to before the delights of our new life in Oz. Best regards all.