Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2004 17:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Drew We are the principal contractor on a large site and one of our contracts is the refurbishment of a storage building. The building which is several storeys high is served by a single open plan staircase which is apparently a “protected staircase”. The fire safety advisor, himself a consultant/contractor serving the same client, is adamant that we cannot installed any electrical equipment (in this case safety related equipment) in the entrance foyer at the bottom of the protected staircase. When challenged he stated that the HSE "wouldn’t wear it" because of the fire risk. The building will be used to store essentially inert and non-flammable material when the refurbishment is completed. I have searched the internet and the technical information index that we subscribe to but can find very little to really support his claim. I’m assuming that such restrictions would come from the building reg’s rather than any fire certificate. Any pointers or advice would be gratefully received before I adopt a more challenging and forceful approach. Thanks in anticipation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2004 22:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton On the occasions that we have had the fire brigade in they have insisted that all fire routes are kept clear of obstructions - regardless of how big or wide the fire route is. I know we have a fairly large landing upstairs in our building and someone had put a piece of furniture on it -the Fire Brigade came in and told us to move it even though it was out of the direct exit way - I cannot say for certain that your Fire Officer is correct but I should say that it is highly likely he is. Why don't you give the Fire Brigade a discreet call - they are happy to help out in situations like this (as long as they are not on strike of course). Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2004 23:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel Firstly it's nothing to do with the HSE - the Local Fire Authority enforce fire safety. Secondly if you've got planning permission as per the Building Regs then fire safety matters will have been considered anyway. Clearly you need to ensure that a protected fire escape route is not congested with ignition sources or combustibles and you have to do an assessment of the risk.... If is is necessary to have safety equipment in the stairwell how about fitting it in a place free from combustible materials or better in a fire-resistant box???? of course you don't say what it is.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2004 08:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Drew Dave, It's nothing to do with the Local Authority. The fire certificate is issued by the HSE under the Fire Certificates (Special Premises) Regulations 1976. I deliberately didn't say too much for fear of "letting the cat out of the bag". The safety equipment is radioactive contamination monitoring equipment and the entrance foyer is definitely the best place for it. There are no flammable materials in the staircase nor any ignition sources other than that which I want to install there. Kevin
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2004 08:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I think the nature of the building may itself impose a specific legal requirement for the equipment you are citing to be installed where you intended putting it. Firstly I'd have a chat with the local fire brigade chaps, then challenge him to produce a regulation applicable to this situation. Risk assess its impact with and without the equipment. If contamination monitoring is central to your general safety strategy then the consequences of undetected contamination may well outweigh those of compromising the protection of the staircase. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2004 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Armitage Kevin, It's difficult to comment without seeing the premises in question, but here goes anyway! When planning means of escape, we must consider the 'escape route'. This will take a person from any point in the premises to a 'place of safety'. In this premises, that would initially involve horizontal evacuation from any point of a storey to the protected stairway. From that point to a place of safety away from the premises, occupants must be able to travel along a protected route, i.e. of fire resisting construction.This includes services such as electrical supplies. Therefore, the 'common parts' of the entrance foyer, i.e. parts which protected stairways and evacuation lifts discharge into, also need to form a protected route. Therein lies your problem. By all means discuss this with your local Fire Safety Section, but remember that HSE issue Special Premises Certs, so reassure your contact that you are looking for help in finding sensible, cost-effective solutions, and will not seek to pitch one party against the other. Then I suggest that you write to HSE with your suggestions, including a rough plan, and requesting a site meeting. One possible solution which springs to mind is: 1. Install the equipment in the foyer, within a protected room, fitted with smoke detectors. 2. Fit the FD30S fire resisting doors to that room with hold open devices linked to the automatic fire detection system. This will eliminate wear and tear on the doors, and people wedging the doors open. 3. Provide suitable fire fighting equipment for the room, e.g. a CO2 extinguisher. Good luck, Mike
Admin  
#7 Posted : 31 May 2004 20:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Lambert I have been interested by the responses on this topic - but no-one has pointed out that it is possible to have a lift (either electrical or hydraulic) within a protected stairway enclosure without problems: therefore, if the fire risk from the monitoring equipment is low there should be no reason why this equipment could not be housed here subject to assessment. The other approach is to take the foyer/atrium out of the fire strategy if possible: if there are sufficient alternative (designated) escape routes, this could be treated as an accommodation stairway and therefore not subject to the same requirements. A protected stairway is one that is separated from fire risks by a minimum of 30 minutes fire protection - make sure that the Fire Safety Officer is not treating it as part of a "protected route" if it is not part of one. The protected route has to be sterile as the travel distances stop once having entered that route: this is not necessarily so in a protected stairway. Regards Steve Lambert H-and-S