Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2004 08:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Purser Hello, I work in a NHS Trust and am revamping the current policy on work experience. It is current policy for under 16s not to be allowed work expereince in clinical work areas and I cannot find the reason why this is. I am obviously aware of MSLA and YP requirements and guidance (I have copies of relevant info). We do not allow them to work in areas such as harmful radiation, noise/vibration, exosure to harmful agents (toxins, carcinogens etc), work beyond their physical or psychological capability, flammable liquids/gases, asbestos, cold/heat. They are also required to be supervised at all times and are allocated a mentor to work with. The Trust is keen to allow 15 years old school children work experience along with 16 year olds in the same school class. The NHS is desperately trying to encourage people to work with it, and it seems a tad unfair if 15 year olds are not allowed to work in clinical areas but school colleagues who may only be 1 day/1 week older are allowed. Can anyone shed light on this? Cheers Jane Purser
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2004 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt It does seem unfair, and I wonder where the idea came from? Perhaps it was a wish to protect them from the nastiness of life. Children are quite robust, and can make decisions for themselves. My daughter did her work experience at the Vet School (when she was 15, I think), where they offered her the chance to witness a post mortem on a horse. She agreed. This did not give her nightmares or put her off becoming a biologist. So unless there is a good reason for the ban, I would pursue the idea of getting it lifted. Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 May 2004 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Jane - there is a way around this - total ban is not helpful - e mail me if you would like a copy of our policy on how we deal with this
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2004 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel my wife works as Physiotherapy Manager in Coventry Teaching Primary Care Trust and 16's are allowed to work on work experience with her staff, although the issues of confidentiality and clinical risk make the amount of work they can do extremely limited.