Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2004 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil George As an FE college, we are looking at placing a few trainees (age 16/17) with a voluntary organisation who will give practical experience in gardening. The organisation has no employees as such and the trainees would be under the day to day supervision of volunteers. Any advice please on the implications?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2004 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Cooper Neil, If your students are being placed on a 'work experience' then you will require the provider to carry out a risk assessment for the work the students will be carrying out. Employer's liability and public liability insurance will also be required, you will also have to discuss any issues relating to child protection (child protection act defines under 18's as children). I think you may find it hard to assure yourselves that the students will always be under appropriate supervision and that any health and safety measures are enforced by a responsible person at all times. You may find some of these issues very difficult with the provider you have described but I would contact your local Learning & Skills Council for advice. If I can be of any further help please email me directly. regards Chris Cooper
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2004 20:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Neil I assume from your address that you are in Scotland. If any of your students, or the placement itself, is sponsored by your local Scottish Enterprise there are quite rigid health and safety guidelines to follow. I had quite a few students working with charities and voluntary bodies and as far as SE Tayside were concerned they were treated no differently to placements with normal commercial bodies Laurie