Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2004 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Hi all, I have been tasked to present a short presentaion on what i would do to improve H&S in the fisrt 12 months of a new contract.The enviroment is a distribution centre and i have no details of the current issues they may have. Any suggestions would be gratfull. Thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2004 13:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart I've not much experience of distribution centres, but a product i was sent details of this morning may be something they havn't got that could be an improvement. It is an immobiliser that interlocks the trailer with the loading bay ensuring that drive-aways cannot occur during loading. This should remove the need for some written procedures, allow drivers to retain their keys and leave loaders in control of the situation at all times. If this is of interest, email me and I can give you the contact info. Hope this helps in a small way. Danny.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2004 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Have a read of the HSE free leaflet "Managing Health and Safety - 5 Steps to Success" and you will get the best flavour for a presentation that most managers will have heard of. Try and fit what you know about the sector around this including some Sector stats available from the HSE website. Using your competence then is a matter for 'selling' what you are good at - even though this may be from a different sector - the key issues are usally the same - competence (how do you propose to train the employees - cooperation and communication - how do you propose to be effective in managing safety with contractors and setting up a communicative system to inform and share lessons?). How are you going to improve the collection of data and produce believable measurements of performance? Culture - learn this as quickly as possible and only poke your head up when you are sure you can escape serious injury!! Where does support come from - the managers properly trained are a great resource! Tell them what your key targets are going to be - excellents standards and procedures that employees understand and can follow. Tell them how employee and contractor behaviour can be 'moulded' to the organisation only through good leadership and setting of example by seniors - devise their education! Look for champions and 'embarrass' them into delivery by ownership! It's not easy, but then we don't want an easy ride do we? Get as many Safety reps on board as possible and educate them yourself - make them clones if possible and then you have an army of improvement agents! Good luck, George