Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2004 10:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sue cotten
Has anyone a stress policy developed around the proposed stress management standards that they are willing to share.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2004 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony O'Keefe
Good Morning Sue,

I do have a policy relating to stress in the workplace and a short powerpoint presentation that I developed a couple of years ago for the European week for safety and health. I will dig it out and e mail it direct to you.

Regards

Tony O'Keefe
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2004 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Egan
Sue
I have emailed you directly. But for general discussion Our draft policy just commits us to the HSE management standards and I have used the term "Psychological Hazards" in our draft policy, because this accords with other areas of health and safety, chemical hazards, musculoskeletal hazards etc.

I think stress is a term wrongly or loosely applied and that the whole issue has been hijacked by various (often financially) interested parties and it is time that H&S profession reclaimed it from the HR meddlers. The place where HR does have a role is in coordinating the response to the build-up to, or aftermath of a psychological crisis at the individual level.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2004 00:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richy
I agree with nick HR is a meddler and any safey department. What on earth has HR to do with safety or health. Often we find ourselves controlled by so called superior bodies who understand nothing about increasing performance through being decent. Bring on civil justice and risk management.
Regards
Richy Marriott
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2004 00:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richy
With regard to stress risk maangement look at HSG 218 everyone else does.
Richy
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2004 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
I, for one, would put stress management firmly in the hands of HR, where it rightfully belongs.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2004 15:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Egan
Geof puts the managment of stress firmly in the HR camp, If you take stress to be the symptomatic expressinon of the adverse effects of Psychological Hazards, then I would agree.

However I still say that there should be a distinction between cause and effect, otherwise wouldn't HR be responsible for Chemical Hazards etc? In practice the manager has the responsibility for controling the work hazards.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2004 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
Nick

In practice the manager is responsibible!

Only in a perfect world - a lot of managers have responsibility for production, finance and a lot of other things including H&S, but it is a rare minority who have the authority to actually do something.

It is much more likely even quite mundane matters are referred up - stress is typically one of those which is referred up to HR. Most managers would be out of their depth dealing with it.

Geoff