Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2004 14:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By InteraX
I currently work in a building which is located next to a building which is being demolished. On-site, there is a machine to crush the resulting rubble. Unfortunately, due to the large abount of rubble being crushed, a lot of this is blowing across the site I work on.

I wanted to know what the health and safety implications are of this brick dust being inhaled in both the short and medium term.

I understand that the demolition company has a duty of care to the public etc, but what exactly do they have to do?

Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2004 07:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear All,

The demolition company has a duty to prevent exposure to hazardous substances and where this is not reasonably practical, to control exposure. COSHH 2002 R7.

Demolition dust will contain a mixture of brick, silicates and cement dust. It may also contain asbestos, chromates and lead as well as other materials. The dust will be mainly an irritant. The amount of dust present will mainly depend upon the operations being carried out and the materials being worked upon.

The normal controls are to screen the site and keep materials being worked upon damp. There is also a need to keep roads and vehicles clean. If there is any concrete crushing on site, then this should be sited to maximise the distance to boundary, having regard to the site geometry, local topography, prevailing winds and sensitive neighbours. The crusher should be bunded or screened with acoustic/dust barriers. All crushing operations should be kept wet and not be carried out under specified conditions.

Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2004 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston
Two ways of resolving it

Contact the HSE as they should investigate any breaches under the Health and Safety at Work Act,

Or

Contact the Environmental Health Department of the local Council. They could deal with as a breach under the Environmental Protection Act (Nuisance). I am aware of prosecutions for similar breaches!

The latter may bring swifter results although they will have to witness the breach. With regards to health effects the posting above says it all.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2004 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
You could of course take the less heavy handed route and make your concerns known to the main contractor. They and the operators are, probably, and, quite rightly, more focused on carrying their work safely. If they belong to a "Caring Contractor" group, then find out, its better than seeing improvement or prohibition notices flying around.
Anyway its summer so its bound to be damp then your probs are over!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 June 2004 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By InteraX
Dear all,

Thanks for your responses. This is very useful. I have been asked to clarify one point.

Adrian,

You say 'There is also a need to keep roads and vehicles clean.'

Does this refer to vehichles on and leaving their site, or does this apply to all vehichles in the surrounding area?

Regards,

Chris.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2004 19:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear all,

Vehicles in the site and those leaving the site.

Regards Adrian Watson