Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2004 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie
Can anyone guide me to a website that can give me statistics that show how we compare to our european partners with regards to construction site accident figures.

many thanks

jim
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2004 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Jim,

Try the statistics section of the European Agency for Safety & Health site, link:

http://europe.osha.eu.int/statistics/index2.php3

Of specific interest to you will be the document "European Social Statistics - Accidents at Work and Work-Related health Problems", link below:

http://europa.eu.int/com...uct=KS-BP-02-002-3A-N-EN

Note - this is a weighty document if you are thinking of printing, as it is in the three main EU languages so you may want to be selective in what you print.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2004 13:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Jim

Very difficult to compare stats on a like fo like basis.

The EU is trying to negotiate a Directive so that we all count the same apples, but struggling even to secure agreement on what constitutes a fatal accident, not least since some fuddy duddies in the UK are extremely loathe to cede our 12th or 13th Century "year and a day" rule. IT'S TRADITION !!!

Conversely in other places if they get you into the ambulance and away from the scene of the accident before you die, then not classified as fatal.

Oh, and we are inconsistent in approach to work related road traffic accidents, including fatals. Supposedly it would have been too much of a burden on industry to have included for these accidents in RIDDOR reporting requirements.

Also efficiency of recording varies dramatically from state to state, eg with Social Security system in Germany enabling much more accurate stats than reliance on duty holders complying with RIDDOR.

As a rule of thumb, take RIDDOR stats for over 3 day accidents and multiply by 3 to allow for UK underreporting.

Regards, Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 June 2004 15:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts
I'd like to see the statistics for Spain, Greece and for that matter Germany. When I was there there was no reporting.

Peter where do you get the X3 for under reporting and how accurate is it.

Lew