Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2004 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye
I work for a training company who occupy a floor in a multi occupancy building. Yesterday, as one of our clients was entering the main entrance door to the building he, accidentally, put his foot through the glass. Is it feasible to demand the landlords insert safety glass in these doors?

Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2004 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Vicky

The Workplace Regs state that 'every window...shall, where necessary for reasons of health and safety, be of safety material or protected from breakage and be appropriately marked to make it apparent.

The ACoP states that glazing in doors should be of safety material or protected from breakage if it is at shoulder level or below if the glass is more than 250 mm wide between the glazing beads.

You should remind your landlord of his responsibilities.

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2004 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ronnie hindle
hi vicky
safety glass is used below waist hieght on any window or door this is a requirement by the glass and glazing federation, i know i work in the glass industry
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 June 2004 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lightbody
Vicky

Paul is correct in the requirements for doors. Shoulder height or 1500mm is the usual height for glazing in a door or side panel to a door, for impact resistance. 850mm or waist height is only applicable to windows.

In relation to getting the Landlord to install safety glass, you will have to check the terms of your occupation. If you are in serviced premises or soley resposible for the floor area you occupy then the landlord will be liable. However, if you have a full repairing and insuring lease it could be that you have to join with other tenants/owners/occupiers to implement the works rather than the landlord.

I assume the replacement glass will be covered by the building insurance and the cost will be covered. Regardless and as matter of course any competent glazier should provide safety glass to BS6262 or Worplace Regs Reg 14.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2004 23:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow
Hello Vicky

My understanding (from my previous job) is that where the glass is at a height of less than 850/900 mm from the floor then safey glass either toughend or laminated must be used - where glass doors are installed to the floor then the panels 300 mm either sied of the doorshave to have safety glass as well (believe Buldings Regs cover this!).

Hope this helps

Regards

David B